Posts: 456
Threads: 238
Joined: Jul 2020
Is there any interest in a paddle from Oakland Beach out to and around Patience Island this Saturday (9/19/2026) ? If enough people respond here, I will post the particulars. This would be a Level 2+ (the '+' is due to the crossing from Warwick Neck Lighthouse to Patience Island, 0.7 miles).
Tony
Rocks are our friends!
Posts: 42
Threads: 11
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 31
Threads: 6
Joined: Jul 2020
I have to double check with a bunch of other possible events this weekend but if I can make it, I'll show up.
Will this be out and back or out around the island and back? I don't know that area so if I don't know if the measurement I did on google maps is correct; out and back look like 5.5miles, while out around and back looked like 7.5 miles.
https://fishcurrents.com/ says the tide will be coming in about midday. If circumnavigating I would think it would be easier to go it counter clockwise so the slot between Patience and Prudence is with the current. But, I'm not a navigator nor do I play one on TV so what to I know. ;-)
-Ken
Posts: 456
Threads: 238
Joined: Jul 2020
(09-17-2026, 05:11 PM)learn2turn Wrote: I have to double check with a bunch of other possible events this weekend but if I can make it, I'll show up.
Will this be out and back or out around the island and back? I don't know that area so if I don't know if the measurement I did on google maps is correct; out and back look like 5.5miles, while out around and back looked like 7.5 miles.
https://fishcurrents.com/ says the tide will be coming in about midday. If circumnavigating I would think it would be easier to go it counter clockwise so the slot between Patience and Prudence is with the current. But, I'm not a navigator nor do I play one on TV so what to I know. ;-)
-Ken
Hi Ken,
It is out to and around Patience Island. Hope you can make it!
Tony
Rocks are our friends!
Posts: 456
Threads: 238
Joined: Jul 2020
Due to a change in the NOAA marine forecast, the Patience Island paddle will not take place tomorrow (9/19/2026). The latest marine forecast said:
" SAT NE winds around 10 kt with gusts up to 20 kt, becoming E in the afternoon. Waves 2 to 3 ft in the morning, then 1 foot or less. "
This paddle is NOT cancelled, but POSTPONED to a later date.
Tony
Rocks are our friends!