May 27th Potters Cove
Saturday, May 27, Potters Cove, Jamestown.  Meet at 9:30 am, launch at 10 am.
https://www.kayakaccessri.info/mapserver...r_cove.htm
-This is the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, so we don't plan any crossings due to potential boat traffic. It will be a fairly mild Level 2-3 paddle along the eastern shoreline of Jamestown (Connicut Island), possibly up and around the northern tip of the island, which is mostly uninhabited (no docks!). 
-Water temps are mid 50s, so wear cold-water gear (drysuits, MAYBE wetsuits but don't push it).
It being Memorial Day weekend, a good parking spot may be hard to find if you arrive late, requiring a boat drop-off, then park. I would say arrive by 9:30am AT THE LATEST...I plan on arriving at 9:00am.

Tony
Rocks are our friends!  Rolleyes
I’d like to join this paddle if that’s ok. I have a wet suit. Dry suit is being repaired. I recently swam in 60 degrees water with my wetsuit but know 54 degrees can be very cold.
Hi Ann - In deciding whether to participate, I'd ask myself a) how likely am I to capsize in expected conditions and b) how skilled am I in getting back in my boat in an assisted T-rescue after a capsize. 

Keep in mind that we'll likely paddle double the six miles maximum for Level 2, which bumps it into Level 3.

Expected conditions are seas of less than one foot, but we'll be paddling against both incoming tide and 10 kt south wind on the six-mile return leg.

I'm expecting some skilled paddlers with rescue and towing experience, plus we'll be hugging the shoreline near E. Shore Road, and there's a public access point at Park Dock about five miles north of Potters Cove if we need to evacuate for any reason.

And finally, the twelve-mile round trip can be shortened according to the preferences/needs of the group.

Your call.
(05-26-2023, 08:22 PM)Cat.Radcliffe Wrote: Hi Ann - In deciding whether to participate, I'd ask myself a) how likely am I to capsize in expected conditions and b) how skilled am I in getting back in my boat in an assisted T-rescue after a capsize. 

Keep in mind that we'll likely paddle double the six miles maximum for Level 2, which bumps it into Level 3.

Expected conditions are seas of less than one foot, but we'll be paddling against both incoming tide and 10 kt south wind on the six-mile return leg.

I'm expecting some skilled paddlers with rescue and towing experience, plus we'll be hugging the shoreline near E. Shore Road, and there's a public access point at Park Dock about five miles north of Potters Cove if we need to evacuate for any reason.

And finally, the twelve-mile round trip can be shortened according to the preferences/needs of the group.

Your call.

Hi Cat. Thanks for your reply. After reading the marine forecast for tomorrow, I really should have a dry suit. Since mine is being repaired, I should opt out. Would have liked to paddle in that area but maybe when it’s warmer and I have paddled even more. I’m hoping for more opportunities to sea kayak. Already been out many times in rivers, ponds and Wickford harbor as the water is still a bit cool without a dry suit  but eager to get out with the waves.
Hi Ann - Looking forward to paddling with you soon!
I'll be there - drysuit and all...