Update and Plan to Sell Kayak and Gear
Greetings all,

After turning 75 and dealing with Afib for nearly a decade, a recent hospital stay convinced me it's time to give up sea kayaking. My Afib was initially intermittent and easily managed with meds, but more recently devolved to persistent/permanent. After two cardioversions and an ablation, I'm due for a second ablation within two weeks. For those interested, I will take photos and post the items for sale soon.

Since moving to CT, I didn't have time to kayak anywhere our first summer here. Last summer I managed paddles on two local lakes, which was better than nothing, but being RI born and bred as a child, the lure of Narragansett Bay and the Atlantic coast has always resonated strongly within me.

I will miss seeing you on the water and cherish fondly the many RICKA paddles and training sessions over the years I paddled with you. Moreover, I thank you for your friendship and patience when my stamina fell short of expectations. In retrospect, I regret not taking up kayaking sooner than I did, but am thankful for the good times on and off the water whenever I paddled.

Since moving to CT, I write daily, mostly anecdotes, poems, haiku, stories, and recently completed a novel, which I'm trying to pitch to indie publishers. I love living in the country and my daily life now resembles that of a monk. Ironically, there's a Buddhist center around the corner, but so far, the monks and I have only exchanged waves and short greeting when I walk past.

For those interested, I'd happy be happy to load my Valley Avocet and gear onto and into my car and provide a "garage sale" of sorts from a parking lot at a convenient location in Little Rhody.

Happy paddling during 2023!
(04-23-2023, 04:56 PM)FredF Wrote: Greetings all,

After turning 75 and dealing with Afib for nearly a decade, a recent hospital stay convinced me it's time to give up sea kayaking. My Afib was initially intermittent and easily managed with meds, but more recently devolved to persistent/permanent. After two cardioversions and an ablation, I'm due for a second ablation within two weeks. For those interested, I will take photos and post the items for sale soon.

Since moving to CT, I didn't have time to kayak anywhere our first summer here. Last summer I managed paddles on two local lakes, which was better than nothing, but being RI born and bred as a child, the lure of Narragansett Bay and the Atlantic coast has always resonated strongly within me.

I will miss seeing you on the water and cherish fondly the many RICKA paddles and training sessions over the years I paddled with you. Moreover, I thank you for your friendship and patience when my stamina fell short of expectations. In retrospect, I regret not taking up kayaking sooner than I did, but am thankful for the good times on and off the water whenever I paddled.

Since moving to CT, I write daily, mostly anecdotes, poems, haiku, stories, and recently completed a novel, which I'm trying to pitch to indie publishers. I love living in the country and my daily life now resembles that of a monk. Ironically, there's a Buddhist center around the corner, but so far, the monks and I have only exchanged waves and short greeting when I walk past.

For those interested, I'd happy be happy to load my Valley Avocet and gear onto and into my car and provide a "garage sale" of sorts from a parking lot at a convenient location in Little Rhody.

Fred,

It is great to hear from you. I see that your positive attitude and enjoyment of life continues unabated. It sounds like you have found yourself a beautiful place to live and enjoy new new adventures. I hope you will continue to write and find time to visit the Buddhist monestery. I have also set out for new adventures. My wife and I now live in mid-coast Maine.

If memory serves, did you mean to state Valley Aquanaut, not Valley Avocet?

Best wishes for your second ablation. Hopefully, it will be highly successful! Please keep us posted.

Always the Best,

Tim
(04-25-2023, 08:24 AM)Tim Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 04:56 PM)FredF Wrote: Greetings all,

Fred,

It is great to hear from you.  I see that your positive attitude and enjoyment of life continues unabated.  It sounds like you have found yourself a beautiful place to live and enjoy new new adventures.  I hope you will continue to write and find time to visit the Buddhist monestery.  I have also set out for new adventures.  My wife and I now live in mid-coast Maine.

If memory serves, did you mean to state Valley Aquanaut, not Valley Avocet?

Best wishes for your second ablation.  Hopefully, it will be highly successful!  Please keep us posted.

Always the Best,

Tim

Tim,

Great to hear from you. Mid-coastal Maine is beautiful and I have fond memories of visits there. Enjoy paddling among the islands!

I sold the Valley Aquanaut while I still lived in Rhode Island and replaced it with the Avocet, which became my dream kayak. I regret not having discovered or bought one early on. I tried the poly version once and didn't like it. The composite version is a much different kayak.

The Buddhists run a meditation center in an historic colonial-era tavern, but it's not quite a monastery. To date, they've begun to clear some of of the property, but it doesn't appear to function yet as a year round facility.

The second ablation is necessary at this point to reestablish sinus rhythm.

Enjoy your life as a "Mainiac."

Best wishes,
Fred
Hi Fred. It’s good to hear from you! Sorry to hear that your health is keeping you off the water, but it sounds like a wise decision. And glad to know that your health is NOT keeping you from writing. That’s great!

I might actually have an interest in your Avocet. Could you send me a couple of photos and some information about the boat, and let me know how much you are for asking for it? You can write me at RickBrooksRI@gmail.com.

Thanks and be well!

Rick
(04-28-2023, 08:38 PM)RickyB Wrote: Hi Fred. It’s good to hear from you!  Sorry to hear that your health is keeping you off the water, but it sounds like a wise decision. And glad to know that your health is NOT keeping you from writing. That’s great!

I might actually have an interest in your Avocet. Could you send me a couple of photos and some information about the boat, and let me know how much you are for asking for it? You can write me at RickBrooksRI@gmail.com.

Thanks and be well!

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for reaching out to me. I'm still in a kind of "suspended animation" after the hospital visit but on the mend. By the time you read this, you'll have received my emails and attachments with photos and detailed description of the Avocet. If you want to take it for a test paddle, we can arrange to meet at "Mud Cove" south of Pawtuxet.

Meanwhile, greetings to my friends at the PVA.

Best wishes,
f