RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

God placed danger and the abyss in the sea, but He also made it Heaven's mirror. - Fernando Pessoa, Poet Laureate of Portugal

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bent shaft vs straight  (Read 8959 times)

gerry p

bent shaft vs straight
« on: October 10, 2007, 09:20:26 AM »

I'm looking at  diving in deep and getting myself a Werner Cyprus.  Always paddled a straight loom but have been hearing that there are definate pros (asided from less wear on wrists) to paddleing a bent shaft.  My concerns with going bent have always been 1) decreased options on hand placement, 2) difficulty in setting up for advanced strokes such as bow rudders.  Any thoughts and experiences?  I'm also looking for feedback on the foam core construction.

Tim

Re: bent shaft vs straight
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 10:37:27 AM »

Awesome paddle.  The crank provides a leverage advantage, but does limit hand placement options.  However, BCU types claim your hands should pretty much remain in the same positon at all times.  I've seen no problems with the crank and making more esoteric, linked strokes.  The foam core on the paddle is supposed to provide added lift for sculling and rolling.  There is no doubt this paddle delivers in this area.  However, the "coreless", Shuna also provides a lot of umph in this department.  I think it has pretty much the same blade configuration without the added 3-D core.  Also, Werner's new Tybee provides many of the benefits of the Cyprus at a greatly reduced price.  Finally, some paddlers/coaches claim that if you don't have any issues currently, don't bother jumping to the crank.  In this same manner, some are reducing or eliminating feather on paddles.  Personally, I like a full-on, 60-degree feather, large blade, foam core, crank paddle. 

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 02:49:32 PM »

Hi Gerry; I think that the bent/crank shaft is a great idea. I've used Lendal's crank shaft for about six years now and their four peice for about four years. I have to admit one probably has to belong to the idle rich or the really well paid upper income class to buy all the possible Lendal accessories.
     I've been admiring the Werner paddle bent/crank shaft, they make their paddles with a double crank, the inside crank for hand placement and the outside crank for better blade placement into the water. Although I never been told that blade placement was a problem with any other paddle.                                                                                           
     Sea Kayak magazine a few years ago had an article on the Werner paddle with the crank feature, it was either on their new product section, which would mean that it was Werner advertising information. A feature article would be an unbiased look. If you can find the Sea Kayaker magazine for April '07 you'll see a nice cover picture of a kayaker using a Werner double crank.
     I like the Landal because my hand position is fixed, on a straight shaft I find the paddle gets longer one side than the other.  Lendal's adjustable left/right hand, length by 5cm and feather from 0' to 90' are nice too. But as Tim notes, I've also read that if you're not having a problem you probably don't need one, but don't let that deter you. Thanks George

Keary

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 03:14:39 PM »

Hi Gerry,
I've been paddling the cyprus with a bent shaft 215cm since May.  I absolutely love this paddle.  This is a paddle that does the work if you let it.  Keep the hands loose and let it go to work.  Enjoy :D

Peter

• Peter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 03:31:29 PM »

I've always paddled bent shaft until very recently.

Lendal has been my paddle of choice for few years. I have the four part paddles so they are interchamgeable and will break down for travelling.

Anyway - I've been using the Kinetic blades with a 215 straight shaft mostly. So it was not a huge investment to get a 215 bent shaft ($120).

I like the way it feels on the water. Bracing was a little weird at first. Especially the offside low brace. Rolling with extened paddle works fine (one combat roll so far). All the other stokes seem to work (at least as well as with the striaght shaft).

Using the paddle to stablize the boat getting in and out iis a little differnt. I seem to be getting used to it.

It's really nice knowing exactly where my hands are on the paddle. At stone bridge the other day I switched from bent shaft back to straight (a couple of the offside braces had been a little too exciting) and found my hand sliding on the straight shaft. Then I blew my roll.

So I am pretty much sold - hopefully it will be getter on my joints.

Now I am going to be looking for another crank shaft for my other blades.

I have a shorter White Water shaft too - maybe I'll replace that at some point.

Eric J.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 04:17:55 PM »

Sticks are easier on the joints and lighter on the wallet. ;D

Peter

• Peter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 09:48:56 AM »

Drift wood.

Yes - I found one on the beach - one of those stick things.

It was banged about a bit so it needs sanding down. Then I will polish it up - should look good hanging on the wall.

I figure somebody was told it would be a good to use s stick. So they were out in the bay and got so dicusted with it that they threw it in a fit of temper and hand paddled back to the put in.
Legend has it that they are now happily paddling with a Lendal Modified Crank Power Master.
 :o

OK - so once it's restored - splinters sanded out and the varnish replaced with some nice oil - I might try it on the water.

gerry p

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 11:09:58 AM »

Peter,
I was there when you found that evil device and I could tell by the way you hunkered over it (like the monkey scene out of Space:2001) that you had been swung over to the dark side.  It's a slippery slope you dance on my friend and one misstep could land you in a tulik, paddleing a skin on frame and snacking on seal blubber.   Be carefull, very carefull.
Gerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up