RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

To look backward for a while is to refresh the eye, to restore it, and to render it the more fit for its prime function of looking forward. - Margaret Fairless Barber

Author Topic: Hello Everyone, are boat launches open?, live virtual classical guitar concert  (Read 366 times)

Emile

Just wanted to say hello and touch base with everyone amidst this pandemic. Sarah and I miss kayaking with everyone, and it looks like it could be a fair bit of time until we can have outings again. A couple of things that I wanted to bring up:

- I'm planning on setting up a series of youtube live concerts from my house within the next week or 2. I know that we are all cooped up these days, and I'd like to share my musicianship with everyone to alleviate some of the boredom and angst with the situation that we are facing. I'll post here with links and times once I have that all set.
- Sarah and I are itching to kayak soon and we were wondering if launches/areas are open such as Potter's Cover and even something mild to practice in like Tucker's Pond?
- Any other easy routes/launches that are open that you'd suggest would be greatly appreciated as well![/li][/list]

Hope that we all get to meet up sooner rather than later, but with how this virus and social distancing goes, it's anybody's guess.

JSharlin

-I would be interested in your concert. That sounds great! Please post the date/time when you’re ready. Thanks
-It seems like many boat ramps are open especially if they are used by quahoggers.
I called the Bristol police and they said the Independence Park ramp is open also the Oakland Beach ramp ( Warwick )
was open yesterday though the water/wind out there can get rough.
- Jon

Emile

That's good news and I like your strategy of calling the local PD and seeing if the ramps are open.

I'm practicing up the 13 and 6 string guitars and am looking forward to providing some much needed entertainment on those. This time Jon, you won't have to wait between movements on the 13 stringer for folks to get done asking questions  ;) .  I've also been dabbling in bass guitar over the last couple of months but nothing to highlight yet on that instrument.

Carole

I'd like to join your audience too Emile. Sarah, will you sit next to me?  :)  Oh, I guess that's not how it works.   :(

As for kayaking, I'm not sure if I'll be available soon, but it seems to me that paddling is a great "avoid the coronavirus" sport. We can stay 6 feet apart in the water and even when we're carrying and launching our boats, right? If I can come to a paddle, I definitely need to start with a nice easy one. Out of Shape!!!

Tony M.

• n'yuk n'yuk n'yuk!!!
  • Global Moderator
    • YouTube site

Most of the boat launches are open. The exceptions are the larger venues (eg. Narragansett Town Beach), and some sites are only closed on weekends. Some that are open: Head's Beach, Potter's Cove, and East Ferry in Jamestown; Weaver Cove, McCorrie Lane, and Sandy Point Ave in Portsmouth; Independence Park (some construction, but you can still park just north of the boat ramp) and Narrows Ave in Bristol, Long Meadow Fishing Area in Warwick, etc etc etc. If you have a question about a specific launch that I haven't mentioned, ask me here, I may know.
                                                                         Tony
Rocks are our friends!

Ken

I read this notice -- https://newenglandboating.com/new-rules-for-ri-boaters-and-non-residents/?fbclid=IwAR32eF0eeeQqtf2G-mQbvHXoz-B_optB9Xcd-ap0-i_bT9c3Bxsl2w2RqvM  It may imply that non-RI residents may not use ramps.  But it's very sketchy on details.  Can you no longer launch in RI and have lunch on a beach in Westport MA or launch in Stonington CT and lunch on a beach in Westerly RI?

It's probably moot for a while as the general consensus is group trips are out for a while.  It's just wait and see for a while. 

I'll likely start getting out on the Charles for fitness and recreation in a week or to.  I'm not interested in paddling solo in the ocean for now.

-K

Emile

Hey folks. Sorry that I haven't put the concert on yet. Going to do some testing with a high end microphone and USB audio interface this weekend and will then plan for a live concert next weekend. I'll post here with a link and day/time.

johnjharkey

Fort Getty, Jamestown Island, is open for kayak and boat launching.

Ken

I read that technically you don't live in RI are not even allowed in RI (except for work) unless you quarantine on arrival for two week.  So, I live 8 miles from RI and 30 miles from Boston but I can't go to RI.  :-(  Starting to get depressed.  I normally would be out in my drysuit on group trips in mid-April.  Going to paddle on the Charles for a few hours tomorrow but I miss the ocean.

-K

Emile

Ken, legally that is true per executive order. Would it be enforced if you are parked at a boat launch? Doubtful. Best to keep an eye on the details at https://www.ri.gov/

Okay folks! I have the details on the upcoming concert

When: Friday, May 29th at 8PM eastern

Where: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XF8VoGxb_E&feature=youtu.be

I'll be playing on both my 13 string and standard classical guitars.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 12:58:51 PM by Emile »

Cam

• 'Tis the time's plague when madmen lead the blind.

Thank you Emile.  Looking forward to it.