RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

He who is drowned is not troubled by the rain. Wise saying from the Orient

Author Topic: Boston Harbor Tides  (Read 57 times)

Ken

Boston Harbor Tides
« on: January 15, 2020, 07:47:04 AM »

I recall the idea for a Boston Harbor trip from Hull out to the Brewsters in one of the threads this last fall.  There can be current in the area so certainly doing it during favorable tides would make it easier.  To learn more about the current/tides, I did some queries on http://fishcurrents.com/map.html to see how they change from week to week.  I noticed that every two weeks the tides rotate close to twelve hours.  Therefore when there tends to be favorable tides, ebbing in the AM, flooding in the PM, the favorable conditions are almost the same time every other weekend for several occurrences.

The following weekends appear to have favorable tides to leave Hull in the AM and return in the PM --

May 30/31.
June 13/14.
June 27/28.
July 11/12.

I've only been paddling with the club for a year and don't have the experience to be a trip leader.  Also, I do not know how the trip planning process works other than the Show&Go trips.  But I thought I'd post this data in case anyone that is interested in a trip like this might want to plan something.  I did a paddle from Hull to the Brewsters last summer and it was a nice time. 

-Ken

Paul B

• Global Moderator
Re: Boston Harbor Tides
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 07:25:36 AM »

Ken,

That is a great paddle and if you don't go out to The Graves Light it is pretty tame.  The issue to avoid is boat traffic including high speed ferries.  In mid summer with a large group we have rarely been able to keep the pod respectfully tight. 

The water is colder (and slower to warm up) so June would be the better choice (between cold and busy).  Hopefully your effort will encourage someone to volunteer to co-lead with you.

Paul