RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook. -William James

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Show and Go" this Sunday (9/15/19)??  (Read 273 times)

Carole

"Show and Go" this Sunday (9/15/19)??
« on: September 11, 2019, 08:40:42 PM »

Anyone interested in a Show and Go this Sunday (9/15)? It could be a level 2 or a level 3. Maybe out of the Bay Campus - or somewhere else if anyone has other suggestions. I believe for a "Show and Go" paddlers just show up (hence the name). Am I right that there doesn't have to be a specific "leader"?

Tim

Re: "Show and Go" this Sunday (9/15/19)??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 07:06:14 AM »

You could "coordinate" the trip Carole.  Someone does have to organize things and make decisions for the group. 

Emile

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »

I'd definitely be interested, but it would just be me since Sarah is out of town.
P&H Scorpio MV Corelite X

Carole

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 09:38:00 AM »

Great Emile! I'm so glad that you can come on Sunday. I'll miss Sarah, but I'm sure we'll paddle often in the future.
About the "leader/coordinator/organizer" question - I prefer to make decisions by consensus whenever possible. Once we have the final weather/wave prediction for Sunday, and we know who will be there and what everyone's skill level and launch preferences are, we can make our final plans.

FredF

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 02:37:10 PM »

I'm up for a paddle on Sunday. The Bay Campus is fine with me.
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut
It's never too late to learn something new.

Emile

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 05:59:53 PM »

Great Emile! I'm so glad that you can come on Sunday. I'll miss Sarah, but I'm sure we'll paddle often in the future.

We've got some drysuits on order too so we'll definitely be extending the season with the group. Looking forward to paddling on Sunday!

learn2turn

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 10:00:20 AM »

I'm paddling on the north shore Saturday so I don't know if I can manage a second day Sunday.  Just in case, what time?

FYI, I have a dry suit and might be up for any Show & Go trips in early Oct.  I'm likely busy the last two weekends in Sept.

-Ken

Carole

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 06:37:39 PM »

As it stands right now, Carole, Emile, Fred, and maybe Ken are interested in coming to the Sunday "Show and Go" paddle. The Bay Campus seems like a good put-in that day - WSW wind becoming W in the AM, 1'-2' seas, and 75 degrees to boot. It will become a level 2 or a level 3 paddle depending on who shows up.
I live close by, so I could get to the Bay Campus for a 9:00 put-in. But I'd be just as happy putting-in at 9:30 or 10:00 if those with longer drives (or anyone who wants to sleep a little later) prefer. Also, right now, the forecast is for rain ending at 8:00 AM - but that could change. What time would others like to launch?

FredF

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 07:34:48 PM »

I prefer a 10:00 a.m. launch, which means I'd be there likely around 9:30 to unload yak and gear.
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut
It's never too late to learn something new.

Emile

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 05:39:59 AM »

I'm okay with a 9 or 9:30 launch as I get up early anyways. What makes the most sense for tides?

learn2turn

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 06:56:55 AM »

Small craft adversaries today so the northshore paddle is cancelled.  So, I'm interested in tomorrow.

I was hoping some time to do a counterclockwise loop, head right out of bay campus, hug the coast for a couple miles, when the waves look enough to be fun but not too much cut across the mouth of passage, and then up the island coast, then back across.  But high tide is 9:15 so that means most of the morning and early afternoon current will be running out.  That would mean a slog against 0.5-1kt current coming in.  So tomorrow is definitely not the best day for that loop.

I use this site for currents.  You can zoom in and then select any time you want -- http://fishcurrents.com/map.html#ignoreparams

BobD

• The sea lives in every one of us. - Wyland
    • Earthly Image Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 07:32:31 AM »

I'm in. Either launch time works for me. Hopefully, the rain ends early.
BD

Carole

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »

Okay - With the addition of Bob and Carleen, it looks like we have six paddlers so far and more may show up in the morning. My opinion is that we should launch at 10:00 to accommodate those people coming from "afar" (in RI terms). Also the prediction is now for rain ending before noon, so we have a better chance of missing most of the rain by launching later (at 10:00). The high tide is just after 9:00 with the low at @ 3:00. Going North first seems reasonable to me so we can return on the stronger tide, but when we all arrive we can make a final decision together about our paddle direction. The wind is still predicted as 7 knots (WSW to WNW now).
Does anyone have any objection to a Bay Campus 10:00 launch time?

Emile

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 10:02:24 AM »

I'll plan for the 10am launch then  Unfortunately, UPS lost our shipment of hooded paddling jackets and neoprene bottoms. As a result I'm just going to have to deal with the rain without. Hopefully the rain ends early.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 10:35:23 AM by Emile »

Carole

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 10:44:21 AM »

Hi Emile,
I have a feeling that the rain won't be a problem, but, just in case, I have a storm cag you can wear.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up