RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

To look backward for a while is to refresh the eye, to restore it, and to render it the more fit for its prime function of looking forward. - Margaret Fairless Barber

Author Topic: Any Local Level 2 to 2.5 Trips?  (Read 228 times)

learn2turn

Any Local Level 2 to 2.5 Trips?
« on: May 08, 2019, 08:42:12 PM »

Hi,

I just started paddling the beginning of last summer.  I did one Ricka flatwater trip but no sea kayaking trips.  I read the level descriptions. I  easily reached level 2 my first month or so paddling last summer.  On the level 3 stuff-- 2-3' waves (I assume open water non-breaking waves) I actually find them loads of fun; 15-20 kt winds I've never experienced but I suspect that is a tad of a reach right now; 10-13 miles in a day that's probably something I could do but have to work up to build endurance, being north of 50 it's important to build up slowly to avoid overuse injuries, but last season I was doing 8 miles in to hours in flatwater on the Charles just for a workout; surf, I've launched and landed in about 1.5-2' breaking waves but not larger than that.  So, I wouldn't consider myself level 3.  So interpolating let's say 2.5.

On gear, I have a P&H Scorpio, two paddles, pump, skirt, pfd, drysuit, cap, booties, and some summer weight garments.  A helmet is on the list and I'll probably order one soon.

I used to windsurf a lot down in RI decades ago and would love to kayak there sometime but I'd need to find the right level trip.  I would not want to jump in to a level III trip yet.  So I'm curious if there will be any level 2 or 2.5.

RickyB

Re: Any Local Level 2 to 2.5 Trips?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 09:57:18 PM »

Hi,

We have several level 2 trips planned that should be just what you are looking for. Our calendar will  be updated soon, so please check the website again in a few days.  Hope to see you on the water.

Rick

JSharlin

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:16:05 AM »

The trip levels are just trip levels and not paddler levels. Last weekend's paddle from Jamestown the swells were easily three feet
however there are sometimes level three trips that are quite calm so check the marine report before deciding.
The worse scenario is falling in and swimming and we are good at getting you back into your boat.
- Jon

FredF

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 10:26:19 AM »

In the past, there used to be spring warm-up paddles for those of us who paddle a shorter season and during the regular season there'd be several level 2-3 paddles. I also remember when there Saturday and a Sunday paddle. One would be for more advanced, adventurous paddlers and the other would be for paddlers who want to paddle at a more relaxed pace. It would be to see something like that again.
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut
It's never too late to learn something new.

FredF

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 07:55:48 PM »

Now that the trip calendar is online, I'm happy to see there'll be some level 2 paddles available after all.
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut
It's never too late to learn something new.