RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook. -William James

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paddle on Sunday, Nov. 4 11A.M. Sakonnet Harbor  (Read 119 times)

JSharlin

Paddle on Sunday, Nov. 4 11A.M. Sakonnet Harbor
« on: November 01, 2018, 07:51:51 PM »

Daylight Savings change on Sunday  (11 is our old time of 10 )
Level 3.5 Rock gardening and possible surfing
Drysuits , helmets and fun...
Stay tuned for any change.
Jon

Otterdog65

Re: Paddle on Sunday, Nov. 4 11A.M. Sakonnet Harbor
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 08:52:51 AM »

Hello,
I am new to the RIKA Group and I am an Intermediate Level Paddler with some White Water and a decent amount of Ocean Kayaking experience looking to get into Rock Gardening and some surfing as well. I do own a dry suit and am proficient in doing wet exits but not as much experience in rolling. My limitation is that I have a 12.5' Wilderness Systems Tsunami (moving up to an Eddyline Fathom in the coming weeks) but I have read that the Tsunami is ok for Rock Gardening.

Would I be a good fit at this point? I plan on taking a number of rolling classes soon, but I am also a strong paddler and very well trained in alot of safety aspects. If not a good fit now do you think I would need to wait until I move up in boats?

Thanks in advance!
Jim 

JSharlin

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 12:46:48 PM »

Jim,
Welcome to the group!
The marine forecast is calling for 3-4' swells. This puts this trip at a level 4 category ( See trip Levels on the home page )
What concerns me is that I haven't paddled with you yet and haven't gotten to know you.
Also given the sea state forecast and your inability to roll as well as paddling a 12.5 kayak makes you a liability to the group.
The islands we head out to are a bit of a distance from the launch and you'd have a hard time keeping up with the group.
My suggestion is to join us when the sea state is calmer and we're paddling in the bay as well as paddling a longer kayak.
If you're interested in instruction this weekend you might want to check out Kayak Waveology's Gales event. https://www.kayakwaveology.com/
I hope to see you on the water soon.
Best,
Jon Sharlin ( trip coordinator )
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:48:54 PM by JSharlin »

Otterdog65

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 08:24:26 PM »

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the info. Yes, I know the issues that can arrive quickly in on the water situation so your advice is appreciated! Thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out and I'm sure I will be in touch!

-Jim C.

JSharlin

Re: Paddle on Sunday, Nov. 4 10 A.M. Sakonnet Harbor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »

Paddle is on for tomorrow Sunday - Launch 10 A.M.
( note; don't forget to change your clocks tonight)
Pages: [1]   Go Up