RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Civility is not something that automatically happens. Civil societies come about because people want them to. - Jimmy Bise Jr.,

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ear plugs  (Read 96 times)

JSharlin

ear plugs
« on: October 19, 2018, 07:22:09 AM »

Those who swim or roll up in cold water will develop bone spurs in your ear ( surfer's ear ).
It may or may not present a problem after a number of years. It depends on one's wax production and other factors.
When Tim and I went paddling with Jeff from Liquid Fusion we noticed he always put them in when going through the rough stuff.
Here's a simple overview of three types of plugs.
https://www.swimoutlet.com/guides/how-to-choose-ear-plugs
-Jon

purplesurfcat

Re: ear plugs
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 08:28:48 PM »

I have a lot of trouble with dizziness in cold water (actually, it doesn't need to be that cold). I swear by Doc's Proplugs, which are the ergonomic variety, for swimming and for situations paddling where immersion is likely (especially rescue/rolling sessions). For me, they are the difference between being able to do longer distance oceans swims and barely lasting a minute or two.

They are sized, but for not too much more than a single pair you can get a full set of all sizes to zero in on the right one.

Be aware that with plugs, a beanie, and a helmet your hearing is seriously dampened.

John

JSharlin

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 11:02:31 AM »

Thanks John for this tip. Where do you get them?
The big downside of wearing ear plugs is the lack of clear hearing.
I've noticed that while wearing mine. I relied on hand signals and gestures
when paddling with a group.

purplesurfcat

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 12:47:34 PM »

direct at www.proplugs.com, swimoutlet.com is also a good source.

they come in vented and unvented -- vented provide slightly better hearing and feel less like your head is in a barrel. good for in-and-out situations, like surfing or rolling. for swimming, i prefer unvented for maximum blockage.

I do have a fitting set if anyone wants to check out sizes sometime
Pages: [1]   Go Up