RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Punctuality is the virtue of the bored. - Evelyn Waugh

Author Topic: Hello,Tips For First Time In A Sit On Kayak  (Read 172 times)

harrykane140693

Hello,Tips For First Time In A Sit On Kayak
« on: October 12, 2018, 02:25:59 AM »

I plan on purchasing a kayak in the next few weeks to fish some of the local canals and rivers near me. I'm new to this sub so I was kind of curious to hear from a few kayak enthusiasts about what your biggest do's and don'ts are for first timers, or for anyone for that matter. Whether funny stories to learn from, or simple tips, anything is appreciated.

Tony M.

• n'yuk n'yuk n'yuk!!!
  • Global Moderator
    • YouTube site
Re: Hello,Tips For First Time In A Sit On Kayak
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 09:01:40 AM »

Hi Harry!
     One big tip that could save you a lot of money: if you are not already a RICKA member, become one. Many local kayak retailers offer at least a 10% discount for RICKA members, so the membership fee ($15) will be paid back several times. Also, buy your accessories (paddle, PFD, etc.) at the same time you purchase the kayak, so that there will be no R.I. State tax on these items (there is no R.I. State tax on kayaks, and any accessories purchased at the same time the kayak is bought).
    Also, you can get many useful tips if you go to a reputable kayak dealer rather than, say, Walmart. Yes, it will cost more, but you will get a real, capable kayak, and not a "toy", plus get to speak to  knowledgeable staff who are kayakers. You can tell them the type of kayaking you wish to do, and they will show you the right path, both for equipment and possible training.
    And lastly, take advantage RICKA, where trips of all different levels are offered...you can learn a lot by interacting with other kayakers, besides which it's more fun on an adventure with others!
                                                                                  Tony
Rocks are our friends!

JSharlin

Re: Hello,Tips For First Time In A Sit On Kayak
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 09:24:56 AM »

Harry,

To already add to Tony's advice. I'd recommend taking a kayak fundamentals class. You'll be surprised what you can learn from how to dress for the weather to various paddle strokes to doing a self-rescue if you fall out.
I recommend two places nearby; Osprey Sea Kayak Adventures in Westport, MA and the Kayak Centre, Wickford, RI.
Also as a fellow kayak fisherman my tip would be to get familiar with your kayak before you start fishing on it.
Best of luck and tight lines !

Jon