RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Friday, 9/14 anyone?  (Read 56 times)

Cat

Friday, 9/14 anyone?
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:57:05 AM »

Anybody interested in paddling tomorrow (Fri 9/14)?  We don't often get a chance to paddle large swell with minimal wind. There will still be some good swell (4') from Flo, but winds below 10kt.  As long as we choose a sheltered put-in and avoid breaking waves...I'm thinking Gooseberry (MA) or Sakonnet, but would welcome suggestions. 

This would likely be a Level 4 paddle, not for distance, but for "large ocean swells".

Some of you may remember paddling during Hurricane Kyle in 2008 - minimal wind, 10-15' swell.  It was like riding an escalator - too much fun!  I don't think conditions will be that extreme, but enough to keep things interesting.  It will all be gone by Saturday, so take a mental health day off and let's paddle!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:58:53 AM by Cat »

FredF

Re: Friday, 9/14 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »

Hi Cat, I'd be tempted, but I've got stuff to do tomorrow. BTW, I think Sakonnet Harbor would be a better put in and once you were out on the water, you could always duck behind one of the islands if the swells got more than you wanted to deal with.

f
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut
It's never too late to learn something new.

JSharlin

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »

Hi Cat,

I have committed to go out tomorrow with a friend. Will see if he'd like to join.
Will get back to you.

Jon

Cat

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 08:14:09 PM »

Sakonnet is fine.  I went down to Gooseberry today and the put-in is ok there, too, but I think Sakonnet would be better because the water's deeper.  Lots of rocks & shoals around Gooseberry, lot of breakers going in different directions.

Launch 10 am if there's anyone besides me.  Please post here.  I will post go/no go by 8 am.

;D

JSharlin

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 05:36:40 AM »

I will join you this morning.
See you at Sakonnet.
-Jon

Cat

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 06:44:11 AM »

OK, see you there!
Pages: [1]   Go Up