RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook. -William James

Author Topic: Flooded Kayak Rescue  (Read 175 times)

FredF

Flooded Kayak Rescue
« on: August 11, 2018, 12:49:42 PM »

Has anyone with RICKA ever performed this kind of rescue?  :o

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT6mnsnlL88
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut
It's never too late to learn something new.

Tim

Re: Flooded Kayak Rescue
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 02:24:25 PM »

Yes, years ago, with a poorly designed cross-over boat paddled by the infamous Jack Foo it became necessary.  More recently, we've done it with recreation boats in the pool.  It is really one of those dated rescues made famous years ago in Dereck Hutchinson's Guide to Sea Kayaking.  In today's world it is largely an anachronism. 

JBernard

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:49:47 PM »

I actually did this successfully from a stand up paddle board last year. One day on the west branch of the Westport River I could see a group of 4 kayakers across the river. I was on one side of the river and they were on the other but something didn't look right to me so I paddled over to them. Sure enough they were having a situation. They were 2 adults and their 2 kids (maybe 11 and 13ish). They all had cheapo rec kayaks. Mom, dad, and one kid were in their boats but the other kid was swimming next to his flooded kayak. Mom was holding the pointy end sticking out of the water and unsuccessfully trying to flip it in the water to empty it. It was a warm, nice day and they were all wearing pfds so no one was going to die but there was no way they were ever getting that kid back in an empty boat on their own, they had no idea. I never asked but I assume they would have eventually left it and had the kid swim back to shore (couple hundred yards.) When I got there and assessed I told the mom to let go of the flooded boat and to raft up to dad's boat so the boy could hang on without flipping one of them. I grabbed the flooded boat which was in the classic stern up Cleopatra's needle position, and proceeded to empty it across my SUP deck. Easy peezy, took all of about 45 seconds. I was then able to stabilize the boat as the boy climbed back into it. I asked if they were all all set, gave the mom my best super hero smile, and paddled away. Definitely a skill we should all be able to do.

Tim

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »

I should have been more precise with my previous comment.  The anachronistic circumstance I was referring to related to modern sea kayaks.  The video of a paddler working hard to fill a contemporary sea kayak with water, which still remained completely horizontal and buoyant, seemed to fall well short of the all so dramatic "Cleopatra's Needle".  Even the description is dated!

JBernard

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 07:48:39 AM »

Totally agree about modern sea kayaks. But since we run into folks on rec boats all the time it's a good skill to know to help out those people when they get into trouble. When I came up on my situation from a stand up board I was thinking, "Oh crap, can I do this from a SUP?"