RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is. - Chuck Reid

Author Topic: Advice on necessary gear/clothing to kayak in fall/spring  (Read 119 times)

Emile

Advice on necessary gear/clothing to kayak in fall/spring
« on: September 10, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »

Hi all,

I'm looking to get some advice on the type of clothing that I'd need for kayaking until November and starting back up in late spring. I was initially thinking about a farmer john 2 or 3mm wetsuit with the hydroskin coat and gloves. I also have a great goretex jacket to wear for wind and water spray. Would this be enough, too much, or too little? Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.

Emile
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:01:09 PM by Emile »
P&H Scorpio MV Corelite X

JSharlin

Re: Advice on necessary gear/clothing to kayak in fall/spring
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 02:08:53 PM »

I'm sure others will advise on this. My suggestion in addition to your list is a long sleeve dry top or a semi dry top.
I love my IR semi dry top ( short sleeve ) . However I also have a regular dry top. Gore-tex breathes better than other fabrics.
I think IR 's cut is roomy and suits me better than my Kokatat dry top.
Here is IR's site. Check out their sales. You can get great deals sometimes esp. the off sizes.
https://immersionresearch.com/
- Jon

Tim

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 01:10:10 PM »

A semi-dry suit with neoprene neck gasket is a great way to go for the "shoulder" seasons.  You don't need super-duper material either.  The base suit from Kokatat is fine.  Just make sure the suit has a relief zipper and booties.  Look for sales or lightly used suits to save money.  You will need just a mid-weight wicking layer to wear underneath. 

Tim

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 01:13:50 PM »

Check out this suit - Kokatat Men's Hydrus Supernova Semi-Dry Paddling Suit.  I used one for a bit recently and loved it! 

Emile

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 07:02:35 AM »

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll chat with you more about it at practice this afternoon.
P&H Scorpio MV Corelite X