RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

He who is drowned is not troubled by the rain. Wise saying from the Orient

Author Topic: Chesapeake Light Craft - advice please  (Read 635 times)

RickyB

Chesapeake Light Craft - advice please
« on: January 31, 2018, 06:36:35 PM »

Hi,

A friend of mine has booked a week in April to build a stitch-and-glue kayak under the guidance of the Chesapeake Light Craft Company.  He is not an experienced sea kayaker, but would like to become one, and he likes the idea of building his own boat.   Can anyone tell me:

a) if these are good quality boats? and
b) if you would recommend the Chesapeake model or the Shearwater?

Thanks very much!

Rick Brooks

Tim

Re: Chesapeake Light Craft - advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 08:05:15 AM »

Chesapeake Light Craft boats are excellent kayaks.  They handle, and are amazingly light and strong.

Both options look good.  The Chesapeake will be relatively slower and more stable than the Shearwater.  There is also Nick

Schade's Night Heron in the line-up, which is probably the relatively fastest, least stable of the designs - read as amazing

handling.  It all depends on your friend's paddling experience and desires for the future.  A good move would be to talk to

Nick Schade, an amazing paddler and kayak designer based in Groton, CT.  By the way, his brother set up Chesapeake Light

Craft.  At least check out his website.

RickyB

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 07:50:11 PM »

Thanks, Tim. This is very helpful. One other issue: Can these boats take a hit and (if not) are they difficult / expensive to repair?

Tim

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 08:06:57 AM »

The ones I have seen are incredibly strong, drop from the car roof strong.  Will they get damaged on rocks in dynamic conditions - yes.  I would guess that if you can build one, you can repair one.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:26:47 PM by Tim »

pddt@detorres.com

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 03:49:10 PM »

HI

I have built the Shearwater 17 and am building the hybrid Shearwater sport (easing into a full strip for #3).I had no previous woodworking experience. Excellent instructions and time to build just about as promised (100 hours) . However be prepared to spend 40 hours cleaning up and getting your workspace (garage?) ready. Classes don't usually get you to a launchable boat but what you take home is good and usually is just multiple coats of varnish and mounting the hardware/lines, etc.

The boats are durable and wood is easier to repair or customize. I added a keel strip  (their rubstrip kit) . If there is time I would recommend trying to arrange the one customization I am adding to my next kayak kit;  that is moving  the front bulkhead separator  closer to the seat so you can brace your feet on it and get off the pedals. You just need a piece of their standard marine plywood, about a half inch larger all the way around.   If you  anticipate much rock play you can add an extra layer glass on the bottom. Also, if you are willing not to see the wood  along the bottom using a marine Urethane paint (also available from CLC) on the bottom will provide a much tougher , scratch resistant surface.

I just have varnish on mine and it is fine.  I varnish scratches at the end of the season and sand and varnish one coat every third year.

enjoy!