RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GEARLAB Greenland Paddles  (Read 75 times)

FredF

GEARLAB Greenland Paddles
« on: October 08, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »

For those of you who are thinking of switching from homemade wood Greenland sticks to high-tech carbon fiber, you may want to take a look at what GEARLAB has to offer: see http://www.gearlabpaddles.com/

Background:

For the past several years, I've paddled with wood paddles, but switched a couple of years ago to a carbon fiber paddle from Superior Kayaks. At the time, the 1-piece paddle cost about the same as a high-end Werner Euro paddle, which was about $400. However, a 1-piece paddle has advantages and disadvantages, one of which is where do I put it, strapped on the roof rack with the kayak or inside with my gear? I done both, but decided it was time to switch to a 2-piece paddle for convenience.

Consequently, I began looking at Greenland paddles that I could dismantle. Superior Kayaks, for example, offers 1-, 2-, and 3-piece paddles, but the 2-piece paddle costs $575. which is more than I was willing to spend. Then I remembered GEARLAB, hearing good things about the paddles and had the opportunity to try a shoulderless Akiak model last year on a RICKA paddle. I liked the paddle but also prefer a shoulder on each side of the loom.

GEARLAB:

After checking GEARLAB's assortment, I was intrigued by the Aukaneck model, which in Inuit means "stormy sea" and which GEARLAB offers in only 210 cm length and with three possible blade colors. The design is interesting because the widest part of the blade is 4.25" and comes (like the other models) with an extra pair of exchangeable tips. The price for the paddle is $348.00 and shipping via airmail from Taiwan brought the total to $371.90.

The Aukaneck is a high-performance, high-bred paddle, which not only offers the wider paddle width for power when you need it in the rocks or surfing, but also its shorter length enables more manueverability in making turns and stability when bracing. In short, I think it is a perfect rough-water paddle. Rock bangers and kayak surfers alike might possibly find this paddle surprisingly versatile and effective--perhaps even as a viable alternative to their Euro paddles.  :o

I liked the paddle so much that I ordered a second paddle, yet one more suited for touring and chose the Nukilik. This paddle comes in various lengths and you can choose from two different tip configurations, flat and round, 6 different blade and tip colors, and various lengths. I chose the 210 cm length, orange blade color, the round tip configuration, and black tip covers. GEARLAB emailed me immediately confirming the order, but noted that it was out of stock and would be shipped within 5 weeks. If I wasn't happy with waiting, I could cancel the order. I waited, and despite the possible delay, I received just over 2 weeks weeks later.

The Nukilik resembles other Greenland paddles in that the widest part of the blade is 3.25". It is only .25" wider than my northwest red cedar stick. As expected, it is an able touring paddle that performs well in normal conditions and wind. In stronger winds, it would be a better choice than the wider Aukaneck model.

Both paddles are well made and the locking shaft of the loom feels solid. GEARLAB sends a small piece of wax to lubricate the paddle shaft and lock button. The paddles are light, but not quite as light as my 220 cm Superior Kayak paddle, but certainly lighter than any wood paddles I've used.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that GEARLAB's customer service is excellent. The staff responds quickly to questions and customers receive an immediate notice with a tracking number once the paddle has shipped. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a paddle from GEARLAB again.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:20:55 PM by FredF »
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut
It's never too late to learn something new.
Pages: [1]   Go Up