RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No one has a finer command of language than the person who keeps his mouth shut. - Sam Rayburn

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Woods Hole current/tiderace Columbus weekend  (Read 214 times)

josko

Woods Hole current/tiderace Columbus weekend
« on: October 02, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »

Come check out Woods Hole during a prime spring tide. We'll be meeting at 9 at Pie in the Sky bakery each day and paddling current, tiderace or maybe even  downwind surfing.  Do note that we're looking at 6-8 knot currents, and maybe 3' chop in tideraces (if wind forecast pans out.) I 've put up a similar post on nspn.org, so we might met a few of them.

I'd like to offer my home to folks who'd like to stay a night or two; there are three guest bedrooms, couple couches, finished basement, etc.  Please let me know if you'd like to stay over, and I'll do my best to accommodate all. I'll also find us all something to eat after paddling each day.

Noontime slacks offer a chance to set up two events  per day. What we do will depend on winds, but we'll likely spend afternoon ebb flows in Woods Hole passage; it's great training for the big Maine reversing falls.

Please rsvp here if you're thinking of attending, and contact me via email if you'd like a place to stay.

Gary

Re: Woods Hole current/tiderace Columbus weekend
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 07:52:59 AM »

Hi Josko,

I'm planning to attend Saturday and will need to head back to RI right after the paddle.  No Sunday play for me.  I'll plan to meet you at PSB Saturday morning.  Thanks for setting this up.

-Gary

Tim

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:19:40 AM »

Saturday looks to be shaping up nicely for a party in The Strait.  I'll be there.

Tim 1

Cat

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 11:00:47 AM »

I may come Sunday  :)

JSharlin

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »

I'll be there Saturday.
Jon

josko

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 05:33:55 AM »

Saturday forecast winds are light S,  so I propose we focus on current technique.  We'll warm up with ~3-4 kts of current in the morning, take a short paddle or long lunch during noontime slack tide, and then work an area with 6+ kts in the afternoon.  Most intensive part of the day will occur between 1 and 3. This is a park/n play event; daily distance < 8 miles, so bring whatever boat you like for current.  I'll see you at the Pie; please be ready to go (leave the Pie) by 9.
Water temp is 66; I'll be wearing a dry top.

Sunday looks like a demanding 5* tiderace day.  If wind direction is anything E of SSW, we'll have ample playtime at Great Ledge tiderace in the morning, but the height of the day will be Nobska lighthouse tiderace from 1300-1600. It'll run ~4 kts and could get quite big.  On the good side, we're < 1/4 mile from shore, there is a nice, safe eddy to rest up in, and there are smaller, less ambitious sections only a few hundred yards away.
Solid combat roll and a willingness to look out for your mates,  please.

Looks like we'll have a small strong group today (Sunday).  Monday offers ideal conditions for a Woods Hole to canal downwind surfing tun, but I'm game to go back to the tideraces if folks would like.  We can change inside (at the Woods Hole yacht club), so don't let a little rain forecast ruin your plans.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:18:25 AM by josko »
Pages: [1]   Go Up