RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean's skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. - Herman Melville

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re; Marine radios VHF  (Read 2780 times)

GeoAFenleyIII

Re; Marine radios VHF
« on: September 03, 2008, 08:58:32 PM »

Hi All; I know, in the past there has been some questions on marine radios, instead of looking for the old thread, I figure to start a new one. These three radios presented here I've never seen or used. West Marine happen to sort of send me an e-flyer on them, as it were. 
    I do want to point out that I do own and use a Standard Horizon marine radio. I've had it about nine years and the original battery is still in it and like the proverbial Timex, still holds a charge. I've lost the water proof plug for the power cord, despite that it still takes and holds charge.  Mine doesn’t float and if thrown, might qualify as a weapon.                                                                                                       

It seems like  www.westmarine.com  is carrying some  Marine Radios that are worth looking into. All are Standard Horizon.
1) HX750S Floating 6w handheld VHF Radio    $149.99

2) HX850S Floating 6w handheld VHf Radio with integral GPS  $250.00

3) HX760S Floating 6w handheld VHF with ‘Bluetooth’ wireless headset   $349.99

Not cheap, but with some sleuthing on the Internet one might be able to find a satisfactory deal.  I don’t know if the Bluetooth ear part is just weather resistance on deck or water proof at minus two feet and rough water might remove it from your ear with ease.   That is 6w not 5w. Thanks George

Tim

Re: Re; Marine radios VHF
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 07:00:52 AM »

I really like the ICOM marine radios.  You can't beat the quality for the price, which is less than $200.00.  I have the M72.  It's submersible-plus, not too small in the hand and has 6-watts of power.  The new M34 also appears to be popular because it floats.  However, it's smaller and only 5-watts. 

Peter

• Peter
Re: Re; Marine radios VHF
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »

Somebody at the RWS mentioned a waterproof Blue Tooth earpiece.
Since my last earpeice hasn't worked since getting laundered I was thinking of looking into it.

I also remember seeing a watersport helmet with a built in blutooth ear piece.

I wonder what sort of control these things give over the radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up