RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. - The Dalai Lama

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Martha's Vineyard, Sunday 8/28  (Read 2526 times)

Mel

Martha's Vineyard, Sunday 8/28
« on: August 23, 2016, 10:58:35 AM »

Enjoy a long crank down beautiful Martha's Vineyard while riding the Falmouth Magic Carpet (aka, a 2-3 kt current assist).

This is a 24-25 nmi trip (so level 5 for distance), though it doesn't feel that long thanks to the tides.  Vineyard Sound always provides lively paddling; our lunch stop in Menemsha Harbor (on Martha's Vineyard) has good people watching and a seafood shack where we can get lobster rolls and other eats.

We'll launch at 0830 at Trunk River Beach, Falmouth, MA.  GPS-able address is 155 Oyster Pond Rd, Falmouth.  (As per usual, Josko and I will be at the Pie in the Sky bakery from 7-8ish).  We'll stop in Menemsha for lunch, then head back, hopefully with the usual SW seabreeze at our backs; expect to be off the water no later than 1730.

Please let me know if you plan to join!
(If the weather forecast changes significantly (currently showing light E winds all day), I may change the trip.  Alternate options are an outing in Buzzards Bay or some playtime in the Woods Hole area.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:16:11 PM by Mel »

josko

Re: Martha's Vineyard, Sunday 8/28
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 12:27:16 PM »

I'm in.

rclarke

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 08:37:17 AM »

Hi Josko/Mel
I'd like to join and have done several recent 20 mile trips.  Conditions aren't a problem.  I paddle a lot around Boston light, Graves light and the Brewster's from Hull Gut or out of Southie.
Feel free to email questions.

Bob

Mel

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 07:51:17 AM »

Glad to have you with us, Bob.

rkhederian

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 02:13:18 PM »

Hi All,

I will be joining you tomorrow.  Looks like a great day weather wise and condition wise.

I have done plenty of long distance trips, including Cuttyhunk, Isle of Shoals, Isle Au Haut, and others.  Wont have any problem.

I will meet you at Trunk River Beach at 8AM, ready to launch by 8:30 as you said in your message.

Thanks,
Bob Khederian
(wooden kayak)

Mel

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 11:16:50 AM »

We had a great paddle down Vineyard Sound yesterday - thanks to everyone who joined! 

Attached GPS track shows our path (color is speed - orange is ~4.5 kt, so we had a nice push for most of the day).  25 nmi total with some fun bumps near the end.

Mel

[attachment deleted for being stale]
Pages: [1]   Go Up