RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook. -William James

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: free standing kayak rack  (Read 1343 times)

JSharlin

free standing kayak rack
« on: March 30, 2016, 03:45:50 PM »

I'm being moved out of the garage and am thinking of getting the Malone free standing rack.
They say it can be used outside as well as inside.
Has anyone used them ?  It gets good reviews and is a reasonable price.
Jon

mbhazeltine

Re: free standing kayak rack
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 12:25:54 PM »

My thoughts are why not make one with 4x4s and 2x4s.  With the Malone rack you will have to worry about water collecting in the boats even if you cover them.  I would also worry about it getting blown around in high winds.

I made one with 4x4 uprights and base and 2x4 cross pieces (arms) and it has been good for about 5 years.  I cover it with tarps in the winter and worry about UV less in the summer once there are leaves on the trees.

Tony M.

• n'yuk n'yuk n'yuk!!!
  • Global Moderator
    • YouTube site
Re: free standing kayak rack
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 04:12:27 PM »

I have to agree with that. We have 2 kayak racks, one a purchased Talic Rack, and the other one I made from my own design. The Talic rack was expensive, and they used non-waterproof glue on certain parts (I eventually had to reglue all of these parts, as water is bound to slip into the joint...I reglued all the joints with waterproof glue...Daaah!!! Imagine that, there may actually be water associated with kayaks, who knew) Also, I had to add some reinforcement blocks of wood. Other than that, I like the rack, and it does hold 6 kayaks. My other kayak rack I built myself, and it's VERY strong (I tend to overbuild things). It was easy to build, much cheaper, and much more durable.
                                            Tony
Rocks are our friends!
Pages: [1]   Go Up