RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is. - Chuck Reid

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: strong current during Friday (20MAR2015) paddle  (Read 834 times)

Tony M.

• n'yuk n'yuk n'yuk!!!
  • Global Moderator
    • YouTube site
strong current during Friday (20MAR2015) paddle
« on: March 21, 2015, 10:36:58 AM »

I did a short paddle yesterday starting a little after 10AM. Launched from East Ferry, Jamestown, out to Rose Island, into Newport Harbor, to Fort Adams, across to the Dumplings, and back to East Ferry. There was a significant sheet of ice in Newport Harbor (maybe about 2 or three acres), but the really amazing thing was the current. I knew the tide was outgoing, so I set an appropriate ferry angle for the crossings. But the crossing from Ft. Adams to the Dumplings was unlike anything I have before experienced at this location. As I approached the green can buoy near the house on the rock, I had to increase the ferry angle dramatically. When I reached the buoy, I was pointing mostly north! I had never seen such a strong current in this place, and I had been out there many times. There was no wind, so the water was flat, but the current was like something you'd see at Stone Bridge or Wicopeset! I checked the lunar phase when I got home, and it was a new moon. With further research, I found it was also a total solar eclipse day (in Norway, anyway). Checking with lunar apogee / perigee tables, I discovered the lunar perigee was the day before! So it was sort of a "perfect storm" for stronger-than-usual currents. Anyone else out there paddling on Friday with a similar story?
                                                              Tony
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 03:26:58 PM by Tony M. »
Rocks are our friends!

Tim

Re: strong current during Friday (20MAR2015) paddle
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:49:32 AM »

To add to the springs with perigee, we were also at equinox with a significant low pressure system.  All of these factors contribute to creating the most extreme tidal conditions, and thereby current, you will see.  Under the right conditions, that area by Clingstone can have an amazingly strong current!

FredF

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 08:49:05 AM »

According to press reports overseas, Bay of Fundy and parts of England's and France's coast experienced an extreme "super tide of the century," the likes of which we may not see again until 2033, if I recall from one report.  See, for example: http://www.twimovies.com/news/world-news/105792-britain-battered-by-extreme-high-tides-following-solar-eclipse.html :o
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut
It's never too late to learn something new.

Tony M.

• n'yuk n'yuk n'yuk!!!
  • Global Moderator
    • YouTube site
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »

Thanks, Tim and Fred, for the input! It was a tidal "perfect storm", and for even more reasons than I thought!

Tony
Rocks are our friends!
Pages: [1]   Go Up