RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Punctuality is the virtue of the bored. - Evelyn Waugh

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fort Wetherill Saturday the 18th  (Read 3128 times)

Erik Baumgartner

Fort Wetherill Saturday the 18th
« on: September 17, 2010, 06:31:26 AM »

A few ConnYak folks will paddling around the lower chunk of Jamestown Island Saturday morning (about 10 miles + playing). Fort Wetherill, in the water 10:30am. Any who wish to partake are welcome to join us.

free2goyaking

Re: Fort Wetherill Saturday the 18th
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:51:44 AM »

I'm definitely interested... Looking forward to being in that area again! I hope to see you in the morning.  I may be bringing a friend. Waiting to here if he can make it.

bob hogan

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:08:19 AM »

With the size and direction of swell it would be best to check the conditions at Mackerel Cove (the portage launch for the "circumcision") before putting in. The predicted swell direction is right up the cove, so it could be a little too challenging (read: big and dumping) in there. An alternate route could be across the West Passage from Beavertail to a protected little cove for lunch, checking out the pounding at Whale Rock on the way.

Think I'll join.

mkrabach

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:11:19 PM »

If you are thinking of the cove at Ft Varnum  north of the Narrows, that probably will not be protected because long period waves will wrap around any protection that site has to offer. Looking at the http://swellwatch.wetsand.com site shows a period of 14 sec and up to 18 on Sunday.  Also the wind is shown  to be NE at 12 knots.  The only protected place I know of under those conditions in that area is Pier 5.

Then there is what NOAA currently predicts for the Narragansett bay:
"Saturday: NNE wind 5 to 8 kt becoming SSE in the afternoon. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less."

For Block Island Sound:
"Saturday: NNE wind 6 to 9 kt becoming SSE in the afternoon. Sunny. Seas around 5 ft."

An update: for the current (present time) wave conditions in Buzzards bay see the NOAA site:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44070
It looks as if the wave sensors on the Buzz3 tower which kept failing, were deemed unrepairable, so they put in a second buoy near the tower, buoy 44070.  So if you look at it in the morning you will have some indication of swells from the south.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:14:18 PM by mkrabach »

bob hogan

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 04:49:48 PM »

Not what I'm thinking.

Anawan.  South side of the Bonnet cove, facing north.

Erik Baumgartner

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 05:21:07 PM »

Sounds good Bob. I'll check Mackerel Cove in the morning. If it looks problematic, we'll go with plan B.

free2goyaking

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 06:34:01 AM »

I think I'm looking at 3 ft waves at this time (0730) - 8 ft dumping is not my plan for the day but that looks like last evenin. Energy level and skills may be lacking in if extreme in conditions exist so I may be backing out.  I've got to do more checking. Coming from over 1 hr away, time crunch here... if I'm coming I'll be early, otherwise you guys play safe out there!

Carole

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 07:04:32 AM »

What was Plan B again? We'd still be launching out of Wetherill at 10:30, right? Linda, I'm not going near any rough shoreline breaking waves. If you come down, you and I, and perhaps others, can veer off if the rest of the group decides to surf. How about it?

free2goyaking

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 07:28:44 AM »

Thank you Carole for your above reply... I thought I was missing something with the way the thread went, too.  I also thought the launch place might be changed. It was VERY NICE to see/paddle with you yesterday.  My hopes are that more females will turn out for these paddles... I'm always 'kind of' biting my nails with the thoughts that I'm going to be the only one, again. 
Erik, thank you sooooooooo much for posting this/inviting us... it was a very successful, fulfilling paddle and a FANTATIC experience with the mix of water textures.  I hope this isn't the last paddle of the season for me (yeah, right) but if it was... I've ended the season with a BIG smile on my face.
Looking forward to your videos, Mike... you're AMAZING with all your 'modifications'/solutions.  LOVE IT!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up