RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep cool and you command everybody. - Louis de Saint-Just

Author Topic: Bilge Pump Mounting  (Read 736 times)

rkhederian

Bilge Pump Mounting
« on: March 18, 2015, 08:07:03 PM »

Hi,

I am doing some work on my kayak and looking for a better place to mount the bilge pump.  Presently, I put it under the bungees way in the back which is not a good spot.

I know that some of you put it in the cockpit at the top, however a 21 inch pump protrudes slightly past the combing in my boat (I have a Seattle sports 21 inch pump).

Any suggestions?  If you have a good solution and can send a picture, that would be great.
Thanks,
Bob

Tim

Re: Bilge Pump Mounting
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 07:24:48 AM »

Check out in the cockpit on top of the hull.  A lot of this depends on how you fit the cockpit.  On the bottom you can place the pump closer to your seat, under a bungee "X", or wedged into a hole cut in bulkhead foam against the forward bulkhead.  The latter option can be done with foam ahead of footpegs as well and is dependent on having adequate foot room in the boat.

Cat

Re: Bilge Pump Mounting
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 12:46:14 PM »

Some folks have a high enough deck that they can mount the pump under the deck, but this doesn't work for me because I paddle a low-volume kayak.

Following the example of Greg Paquin of Kayak Waveology, I glued 4 padeyes to the floor of the cockpit and ran bungees to hold my pump so that it sits between my legs a few inches in front of the seat.  I taped the pump down first to make sure it was not only comfortable & accessible while sitting in the boat, but also didn't interfere with entering & exiting.  This includes at least simulating deep-water re-entries where you lie prone (face-down) on the back deck facing the stern, put your feet into the cockpit and then twist and slide forward into the seat.  Your feet have to change sides while doing this, so the pump has to be close enough to the seat not to interfere with this.

I used G-Flex to glue the padeyes to my composite hull, but it also works on varnished wood or plastic with meticulous prep.  Make dang sure they're placed properly because you will have to saw them off if you change your mind!  :o