RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

He who is drowned is not troubled by the rain. Wise saying from the Orient

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bay Campus Sunday 10/5 at 10am  (Read 1505 times)

Tim G

Bay Campus Sunday 10/5 at 10am
« on: October 02, 2014, 06:14:51 PM »

Level 3/4

Cat

Re: Bay Campus Sunday 10/5 at 10am
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 08:07:39 AM »

Yay! See you there  ;D

Mike Gadoury

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »

Hi Tim, Any idea of the direction and distance on this one? My wife and I may go for a small portion of the trip. Thanks.
Valley Nordkapp lv
Stellar SEI advantage surfski                                   
Epic, Jantex, Werner paddles

Tim

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 08:35:14 AM »

Mike,

Everyone should always plan on staying with the group for the entire paddle.  If your wife has not been paddling regularly, tomorrow will not be a good day for her to paddle.

Tim M.

Tim G

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 12:56:24 PM »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for asking.  We'll likely paddle south towards Narragansett Beach - the exact route will depend on the weather conditions  and other factors. I must echo Tim Motte's comments that this is not a trip for someone who hasn't been paddling much this summer and under those circumstances it would not be advisable for you and your wife to separate from the group inorder to keep the trip shorter. 

Best,

Tim

Cat

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 07:14:32 PM »

I can attest to the conditions as I showed up 24 hours early (friendly hint: posting the day as well as the date helps the calender-challenged among us). I drove  down to launch from Pier 5 with the notion of surfing Narragansett Town Beach. However, I ended up staying well off-shore because the 4-6 foot swells translated into bigger breakers than I wanted to handle alone. This was with an incoming tide with the wind behind it. Sunday will be a persisting SE swell opposed by a healthy 11+kt west wind, so the remit will probably be a true Level 4, possibly edging into L5. This will not be comfortable or safe for anyone w/o solid L4 skills, as the seas may be even steeper and choppier than today. Tim, you may want to up this trip to Level 4. I can't make it but hope everyone has a fun, safe paddle  :)

Mike Gadoury

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 07:47:20 PM »

Thanks everyone for replying. Looks like we're going cycling. Have fun and be safe. Mike.
Valley Nordkapp lv
Stellar SEI advantage surfski                                   
Epic, Jantex, Werner paddles

Tim G

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 06:48:07 AM »

Thanks for the constructive conversation regarding paddling in groups and awareness of safety.  Just to reassure, this will be a level 3-4 trip.  One advantage of paddling from the Bay Campus is that there are a variety of paddling options and the route can be altered if need be, this will not be a level 4/5.  I hope to see you there.

Tim G
Pages: [1]   Go Up