RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Civility is not something that automatically happens. Civil societies come about because people want them to. - Jimmy Bise Jr.,

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mighty Stick  (Read 3068 times)

Eric J.

The Mighty Stick
« on: September 21, 2007, 12:39:02 PM »

My favorite and most used piece of gear is my paddle. It is a lovely hand carved Aleutian style paddle made by Wolfgang Brink(http://wolfgangbrinck.com/boats/paddles/index.html). It is a two layer laminate done horizontally. This provides excellent stiffness and strength through the loom and into the blades, but it allows for a good amount of flex at the ends.
It took a few weeks to adjust to the new paddle because it has more flex than my Cricket-built stick, the blades are a little wider, and the loom is a little shorter. I immediately felt the paddled was more lively than my first stick, but also felt it may be putting more strain on my body because I got sore after using it. Since that has mostly gone away, I figure it was the normal adjustment to a new paddle.
I also like the oiled finish. Unlike a varnished finish, the oil finish is grippy and easy to maintain. I can just reapply some Tung oil when it starts to look worn.
Wolfgang Brink also builds Greenland style paddles as well. All paddles are made to order. They run between $200-$300.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 01:21:02 PM by Eric J. »

GeoAFenleyIII

Re: The Mighty Stick, Wolfgang Brinck's that is
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 07:04:29 AM »

Hi Eric; I've seen WB advertisment in the different kayaking magazine but for some reason never got up on his web site. Thanks for providing the site,I did get up on it and floated (pun?)around a bit and now have it bookmarked. I guess that is the term. Today might be the Day. Thanks George

GeoAFenleyIII

Re: The Mighty Stick
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 06:59:13 PM »

Hi SM; I guess I did about a mile or so without pulling myself over. Need to work it some more, not my first choice of paddles, yet. Thanks George
Pages: [1]   Go Up