RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Civility is not something that automatically happens. Civil societies come about because people want them to. - Jimmy Bise Jr.,

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 303 Protectant $34.99/Gallon at Jamestown Distributors  (Read 1433 times)

Cat

303 Protectant $34.99/Gallon at Jamestown Distributors
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »

Jamestown Distributors in Bristol, RI has gallon-size 303 Protectant for $34.99 plus tax.  This is close to wholesale price.  Most other places charge at least twice as much. 
The store is at 17 Peckham Drive, Bristol, RI
Store phone: 401.396.5125 (call to check availability)
Store hours: Mon Fri: 8 am-6 pm  Sat: 7 am-3 pm

You can also order online at www.jamestowndistributors.com and have it held for pickup at the store or shipped for an additional charge.

If you're not familiar with this product, it is the gold standard for UV and oxidation protection for anything that fades, cracks, stiffens, etc.:
-rubber: hatch covers, latex drysuit gaskets, rubber rands on sprayskirts and shoes.  It is truly amazing how it makes stubborn hatch covers easy to put on & take off.
-neoprene: wetsuits, hydroskin, sprayskirts, etc. etc. etc.
-vinyl: car interiors
-plastic: poly, thermoform & royalex kayaks & canoes, whistles, compass housings, paddle-blades (NOT paddle-shafts)
-gelcoat: composite kayaks & canoes
-rope & cord: decklines, towlines, shoelaces
-fabric: PFDs, nylon sprayskirts, towbags, swimsuits, performance apparel

Do NOT use it on:
-waterproof-breathable (WPB) fabric like Goretex, Event, etc.; apparently it damages the membrane & the WPB properties. 
-paddle-shafts or any other surface that requires a grip (SUPs, surfboards, etc.)

I use it on my kayak instead of marine wax; if allowed to dry properly it yields a hard, glossy, slippery finish that protects the color and reduces wetted-surface friction (i.e. makes the boat go faster) (really).  It also makes the boat slide more easily onto saddles or J-cradles, but also more slippery when handling, esp. when wet (if you carry your boat by supporting the hull, grab the toggle or decklines as backup in case the hull slips out of your hand).

Peter

• Peter
Re: 303 Protectant $34.99/Gallon at Jamestown Distributors
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »

So that's why you could accelerate through the mud on Saturday!

Cat

Re: 303 Protectant $34.99/Gallon at Jamestown Distributors
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »

I guess my secret is out  :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up