RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The world is my lobster. - Henry J. Tillman

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: July 21st Bristol Harbor Trip Details  (Read 1232 times)

Cat

July 21st Bristol Harbor Trip Details
« on: July 20, 2013, 05:14:57 PM »

I posted the following on the flatwater message board and thought I'd share it here as well:

Hi folks - there've been quite a few questions, so thought I'd post here for everyone's benefit. Please call me this afternoon or evening at 508-369-3028 if you still have questions.

I am really looking forward to this trip and meeting new people.  ;D   I will do everything I can to help you participate, so please don't hesitate to contact me 508-369-3028.

CANCELLATION NOTICE: in the unlikely event that I decide to cancel the trip, I will post a notice by 7 am here and on the Sea Kayak Changes & Cancellations message board: http://rickaseakayaking.org/forums/index.php?board=3.0

RICKA Sea Kayak guidelines are at the end of this post. PLEASE review them. They are important and there is a reason for every one of them.

Your kayak can be less than 15 feet, but MUST HAVE bow & stern watertight bulkheads, full perimeter lines and a sprayskirt. I will bring some extra line and loaner sprayskirts tomorrow; please call me TODAY if you need either or both.

Short, wide rec kayaks with huge cockpits are NOT appropriate for this trip. Again, call me if in doubt. I do have a couple of extra kayaks that I will bring in case someone gets all the way there with the wrong boat.

Launch time is 10 am. Please arrive in plenty of time to get on the water at 10 am.

Bring a lunch, sunscreen and plenty of water. Think about bringing extra for other people; I make a habit of doing this.

A spare paddle is also a good idea. I will bring extras.

Route: we will paddle south along the east side of Poppasquash Neck to Usher Point with a possible stop at Usher Cove. Then we'll cross over to Hog Island and go into the tidal lagoon for lunch. This is one of the most beautiful spots on Narragansett Bay; a protected saltwater lagoon perfect for swimming, practicing rescues, etc.

Depending on how much time we spend playing in the lagoon, we will either paddle around Hog Island, or just cross back over to Poppasquash Neck & retrace our steps (er...strokes?) back to the launch site. We should be back between 2 & 3 pm.

These are the RICKA Sea Kayak guidelines:
Equipment
Required
In order to participate in RIC/KA sea kayaking trips you MUST have the following equipment:

•Coast Gaurd approved PFD (REQUIRED)
•spray skirt (REQUIRED)
•bilge pump & paddle float (highly recommended)
•appropriate clothing for the water temperature
*Sea Kayak:
A sea kayak is designed for use on the ocean and typically has the following characteristics:

•15' or greater length (shorter is OK for this trip)
•front and rear bulkheads (REQUIRED)
•perimeter lines (REQUIRED)
If you are uncertain if your kayak is appropriate for a trip, contact me at 508-369-3028.

Suggested
We strongly recommend that you bring along the following:

•drinking water
•food
•sunscreen
•whistle
•a change of dry clothes
•knife
•spare paddle

Etiquette
Before a Paddle
Consider the following before joining a group paddle:

1.Check the difficulty level of the trip.
2.Check the marine forecast and tides prior to paddling.
3.Assess your comfort level for participating in the trip based on the difficulty level and the forecasted conditions.
4.Each participant in a group trip shares the responsibility for the safety and enjoyment of the entire group.
5.All times listed are LAUNCH times. Arrive early enough to prepare.
6.If necessary, paddles will be cancelled by 7:00 AM. Check the message board for cancellation notices.
During a Paddle
To ensure a safe and fun paddle, all paddlers in the group should do the following:

1.Stay with the group.
2.If you are having trouble, inform the trip coordinator.
3.Keep an eye on the rest of the group. If you notice another paddler having difficulty, help them out or tell the trip coordinator.
4.The scheduled difficulty level of the trip is the difficulty level of the trip. Only the weather will push a level 2 trip to a level 3 trip.
5.In an emergency situation, only one person should be in charge. Give them space and do as they say.
6.If you choose to leave the group, tell the trip coordinator. (not allowed on this trip).

Pages: [1]   Go Up