RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

God placed danger and the abyss in the sea, but He also made it Heaven's mirror. - Fernando Pessoa, Poet Laureate of Portugal

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snapdragon spray skirt problem  (Read 3277 times)

FredF

Snapdragon spray skirt problem
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:13:58 AM »

How many of you are having difficulty attaching your Snapdragon spray skirt to your cockpit?

I know of two other people beside myself who recently bought a new Snapdragon spray skirt and, despite having the proper size for the kayak, have difficulty attaching the skirt to the cockpit coaming. Ironically, I don't have this problem with my plastic P&H Scorpio, possibly because the cockpit coaming is thicker and the space between the deck and the coaming is greater than on my composite Aquanaut. Another thing I noticed is that the skirt goes on the Aquanaut much easier when it's dry.

Consequently, I suspect that once the skirt becomes wet while paddling, the cord around the bottom seam of the skirt swells, making it more difficult to feed the skirt around the back of the coaming.  ???
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut
It's never too late to learn something new.

Rich Coupland

Re: Snapdragon spray skirt problem
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »

Fred,

I don't think it's a snapdragon issue per-se. I noticed that problem when I tried your boat on Sunday, and I was in a valley spray skirt. The gap outside the coaming appears to be quite small compared to other boats I've been in. You may be able to find a another brand of spray skirt that has smaller cording on the edge.

All the best,
Rich

Tim

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »

I also have noticed that the new Snapdragon skirts with the lighter, more flexible material are harder to seat behind the cockpit rim than the older, heavier, less flexible skirts.

FredF

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »

Perhaps it's a combination of boat and skirt? I know a Cetus MV owner who also has trouble seating his Snapdragon skirt behind the cockpit.  :o
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut
It's never too late to learn something new.

bob hogan

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »

Didn't really understand how it could be such a problem until I used Tim's Cetus last week. I was on the beach and just about gave up and walked away. Looks like it has to be a very, very specific procedure. Whatever that may be. Good luck.

Tim

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 07:41:59 AM »

Another thought on this matter.  A contributing factor might also be the wider aft section of cockpit rim in a swedeform boat, such as the Cetus Classic.  It appears to be necessary to stretch your hands further apart when you lean back to seat the skirt.  This might be a contributing issue, if like me, your body is used to fishform boats with their narrower section of rim behind you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up