RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Choose wisely.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looks good so far for Sunday night!  (Read 1751 times)

Tony M.

• n'yuk n'yuk n'yuk!!!
  • Global Moderator
    • YouTube site
Looks good so far for Sunday night!
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:21:08 AM »

The "almost" full moon paddle for Sunday night looks good so far...forecast says "clear" for Sunday night. Please note, the posted time, 6:30pm, is a LAUNCH time, which should get us to Rome Point with still a little daylight left, which will make it easier for me to set up my telescope. I decided to go with one of my telescopes rather than the 20X80 binoculars...we'll get much better views of the moon. Remember all the safety equipment for such a paddle (lights / headlights / glowsticks, etc).
                                                Tony  :D

Rocks are our friends!

mkrabach

Re: Looks good so far for Sunday night!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »

What is the power of your telescope?

Tony M.

• n'yuk n'yuk n'yuk!!!
  • Global Moderator
    • YouTube site
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:56:30 PM »

I'm surprised at you, Mike,  ::), you have to know that power is far from the most important attribute of a telescope. It's a Televue 70mm scope, very high quality, and I'll be bringing two 2' eyepieces that will yield 30X and 53X. And a sturdy tripod. I could bring some shorter focal length eyepieces that would give higher powers, but then that creates a whole set of other problems, like the moon gliding out of field too fast. Will you be going?
                                   Tony
Rocks are our friends!

mkrabach

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:31:50 PM »

I was assuming that you had comparative objective size for any power. Yes I know that objective size is the determining factor for resolution.

I have a 100x25 binocular set. Cheap Russian version, but weighs about 10 lbs and need my 10 lb tripod to use them.  I had thought that you were going to view from the Bay Campus. Of course the lights are terrible there.  I will have to see if I can get the rig into a kayak, at least the binoculars.  I took a quick look just now at the moon to see if it would be too bright...somewhat but not unbearable with 100mm objectives. Quite low in the sky.

Yes, the Televue is an excellent scope.  Stellefane anyone?  I assume that you will put it in a padded drybag very carefully, and have it insured?  Maybe you can carry my tripod if you are using your 18' sit-on-top.

Tony M.

• n'yuk n'yuk n'yuk!!!
  • Global Moderator
    • YouTube site
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:27:04 AM »

Those are big binoculars you have there! I don't know if your tripod will fit in my hatch along with my tripod...we can try. I will be taking the 20' double and it has a huge rear hatch.
    The 70mm objective aperture of my Televue is not very large, but the views of the moon at the powers I mentioned should be spectacular. (I also have a Meade 7" aperture Maksutov-Cassegrain, but that would be mucho-overkill, besides which it is much too large to carry on a kayak!)
                                                                 Tony
P.S. I am going to change the launch time to 6:15pm, as I have been worrying about having enough twighlight time to set up. 
PPS. Okay, you convinced me, I'll also bring an eyepiece that will yield 100X. It is an equatorial mount, so it shouldn't be too difficult to do the tracking.       
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:49:38 AM by Tony M. »
Rocks are our friends!
Pages: [1]   Go Up