RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is. - Chuck Reid

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fort Wetherill cancelled (again!)  (Read 1835 times)

RickyB

Fort Wetherill cancelled (again!)
« on: August 12, 2012, 05:27:18 AM »

Well, today's forecast is worse than yesterday, and we cancelled yesterday.  Of course, yesterday turned out to be fine.  Still, out of respect for our out-of-state friends who are trying to decide now (6:25 AM) whether to make the drive to Jamestown, and the fact that it is pouring right now, today's paddle is cancelled.  If it turns out to be a nice day, feel free to call me at 401-374-9268 for a mid-day paddle.

My regrets,

Rick

Cat

Re: Fort Wetherill cancelled (again!)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 06:29:22 AM »

The northeast sector radar shows high-tops from Chesapeake Bay to Cape Cod moving up the seaboard right toward us, so it doesn't look like it's going to get any better.  If it does, Jack & I might go out a little closer to home (New Bedford) this afternoon; maybe down to Gooseberry and surf.  I'll post if we do.

Cat

Workin' in the Sunshine/RICKA Class
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 02:09:51 PM »

Nary a thunderstorm or even a drop of rain all day.  Oh well, at least I'm catching up on some boat maintenance.

As safety & ed chair for RICKA, I'm going to look around and see if anyone teaches ESP 303, How to Read the Weather Gods' Minds............ :P

Tony M.

• n'yuk n'yuk n'yuk!!!
  • Global Moderator
    • YouTube site
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »

I ended up surfing at the K's, and also did some rock gardening out at the jetties...some really nice play spots there, as there are many breaks and near breaks in the jetty, allowing waves to pass through. No rain or thunder the whole time...but Rick did make the right call given the info. he had.
                                          Tony
Rocks are our friends!

Cat

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:34:22 PM »

Absolutely, Rick made the right call.  I was just funnin' around trying to cheer everybody up  :D  Actually, I got all the gelcoat repairs done on Jack's boat and saved it from the junkpile, so it was a...good day.  Not great, like playing in the rocks would've been, but good! Really! ??? 

RickyB

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:09:36 PM »

Thanks  for the reassuring words.  Truth is, I have been kicking myself all day, and thinking that I was too hasty or conservative in cancelling.  In the future, I will rely less on the National Weather Service and more on my Ouija board.

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up