RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The world is my lobster. - Henry J. Tillman

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Werner paddle construction  (Read 1973 times)

bob hogan

Werner paddle construction
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:22:52 AM »

After a recent on-water incident (not mine, at least not directly...) I became curious about what Werner might have to say about the strength of their various paddle lines. While their web site describes all of them as "light and durable" their FAQ page does say this:

"While our Performance Core paddles are very durable they cannot take the same type of impact that our Performance, Premium and Recreational paddles can. Choose Performance Core if you want the advantages of the smooth and buoyant feel of the full foam core and can treat your paddle with the respect of a fine tool that it is."

and

"...Our touring paddles are recommended for touring in the ocean, lakes and gentle moving rivers. We do not recommend them for use in dynamic whitewater environments."

Judging from this, and what we saw last week, it looks like rock gardening or surfing with a foam core paddle is probably not a good idea. The carbon fabric is really thin, making the trade-off of light weight vs. strength not favorable in these conditions.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:56:03 PM by bob hogan »

Tim

Re: Werner paddle construction
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:30:12 PM »

I thought this was interesting too:

"Can I use my Werner Touring paddle in the surf zone?
This is not recommended without being properly instructed with techniques for paddling in the surf zone. Our touring paddles are recommended for touring in the ocean, lakes and gentle moving rivers. We recommend participation in an instructional program to understand proper paddling technique before paddling in the surf zone."

Cat

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »

I watched Ben Lawry break his foam core Werner in the Sheepscot reversing falls a couple of years ago.  Wonder if they renewed their sponsorship... ::)

JBernard

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:40:06 PM »

I an not at all nice to my gear. I have been beating the crap out of my 6 year old foam core Ikelos, rocks, surf, Subaru hatch smashed onto the blade (nasty crease on the back of one blade, never had that repaired) thrown onto the beach you name it. I did have to send it back a couple years ago to have a lose ferrule replaced but I have long thought of it as being one of the most impressively designed and built piece of gear of any kind that I have owned.

Tim

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 06:25:22 AM »

I think it is also a question of specialization, real or perceived, which is definitely currently being marketed by the company.  Can you say Sho-gun for hardcore sea paddling.  It might be the last vestige of an old school west coast "softness" to sea kayaking versus their new school, young bucks of whitewater sea paddling.  In any case, it speaks to the need for another paddle.  Think marketing.  It is also why a number of generalists have avoided foam core blades and stuck with fiberglass or carbon/nylon.  It is a matter of approach.

Pages: [1]   Go Up