RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook. -William James

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tung Oil?  (Read 3974 times)

FredF

Tung Oil?
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »

Does anyone know where I can buy a pint of pure tung oil here in Rhode Island?  ???
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut
It's never too late to learn something new.

JSharlin

Re: Tung Oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »

FredF

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:39:51 PM »

Thanks, Jon, but I'm looking for pure/100% tung oil. JD's is a mix. I thought I could buy it locally, but it appears that I'll have to buy it online.
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut

Nanchill

Circa 1850 Tung Oil
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:33:13 PM »

from Swing Paints is available at Jamestown Distributors.  It is pure tung oil.  From Swing Paints:

"Circa 1850 Tung Oil is a ready to use finish made with raw tung oil, and does not contain any other oils, resins or varnish. Tung Oil, extracted from the nut of the oriental tung tree, has been used for centuries to protect and beautify wood."

I have always had a problem with the top of the can getting stuck on, so that the flange turns instead of the top.  I would pour it into another container if you go with that brand.

-Nancy

FredF

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 07:47:59 AM »

Thanks, Nancy, I'll check it out.  8)
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut

JBernard

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 08:39:24 PM »

FWIW I finished my homemade GP with a couple coats of Watco Teak Oil. Two years ago I built it from a single WRC 2x4 using (very likely) the same video and plans you used for yours. It came out great- no where near perfect mind you but it feels and paddles really nice. Anyway, I couldn't find Tung oil so I used some teak oil that I had hanging around. Worked fine. I think you don't even need to do anything to the WRC and it'll be fine.

FredF

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 09:57:35 AM »

Teak oil actually makes a great deal of sense since it's what mariners have long used to protect decks and woodwork from salt and the sun. In the end, I decided against using pure tung oil and bought a small bottle of Formby's Tung Oil Finish at Benny's. But I may try teak oil the next time I refinish my GP. FWIW, I know a couple of people people who use nothing on their WRC GPs. Over time, the paddles take on a nice gray patina.
P&H Scorpio
Valley Aquanaut
Pages: [1]   Go Up