RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Choose wisely.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rough Water Symposium  (Read 4942 times)

Peter

• Peter
Rough Water Symposium
« on: February 25, 2008, 02:11:19 PM »

I gear reviews is the place for this.

Last year I went to the Rough Water Symposium. Labor day weekend 2007.

It took me a while to decide about going - would I be in over my head - would it be below me and all that. I signed up at the last minute. In fact I think I got in after the cut off. I had called the store and signed up but the guy didn't know they were full. I ended up talking to Tom Bergh and changing around my classes to fit me in.

The first day I did Tidal II. We went out to the Eastern end of Fishers and played in the current. I kept getting tired out and findind new energy. First was the paddle out. Then there was a session of eddy turns. Then there was a lot of time surfing in a race (not the race - they save that for Tidal III. Then there was some standing wave surfing. The wave was hard to find and almost as hard to stay on. In fact they talked me onto the wave. Lunchtime was on a beach of marble sized srones - I was happy to have the plastic boat. Our coaches for the day were Greg (Greg Paquin www.kayakwaveology.com
) and Barry (Barry Shaw www.seakayakinguk.com). Both have their own style - both instill confidence. After lunch we found some waves to play in - surfing mostly. At lunch Barry promised to check out my roll - I seem to have the extended paddle roll but... So during a break from the surf I asked Barrry to look at my roll. I set up to capsize and he stopped me there! I thought this was strange but I listened. He had me adjust my postion and I realized that if I did exactly what he said I'd go over. So I did it - went over and popped up. I was amazed - he'd fixed it just like that. A Welsh Magician.
The hardest part was the paddle back - there was a little current. There were a couple of problems - I had amazing cramps in my hands causing a death grip on the paddle. I pealed my hand off the paddle and had trouble getting it back on. Ouch. I had been drinking plenty of Propel - it turns out that this might have been the problem. The other problem was that I was tired from all the work.

The next day was Stokes in Conditions - Dale (Dale Williams www.seakayakingusa.com formerly of Sea Kayak Georgia) and Tom Berg himself (Symposium organizer and www.maineislandkayak.com. Tom and Dale are pretty laid back. They watch and adjust and suggest. I capsized in a tight rock garden (Oops too cocky) Tom pulled me out. I capsized again later - on the way back. I went over on purpose - I had caught a wave - a really nice wave and baled to avoid nailing Dale. In actual fact my whoop of joy had warned Dale and he was off like a rocket. He felt my capsize was overly dramatic. So upside down I was thinking I should try the proper roll - I decided to go to the extended paddle and popped up. During an afternoon on brek on the beach I had found a stick - (I talked about that somewhere else in the Forum already). The venue was Narrow River)

The last day I switched out of Tidal III into Rocks. I didn't want to do a long paddle to a tidal race and then paddle back). The Venue turned out to be Newport. Peter Casson was aided by a guy from NH - who's name escapes me for now. More stroke refinement. Some good towing practice in the rocks. Some really interesting rock play.

After the symposium my boat handling had improved substantially. I had met a lot of interesting people - instructors and participants alike. There were a few issues that came up. The food was a little kid camp oriented but improved over the weekend. June showed up at the camp fir with cake and stuff one night because there had been no desert. I was glad I'd taken my tent - the "Cabana" was open to the bugs. The Cabins were apaparently fine. We were on our own for lunch which was kind of awlward. The coaches were given snacks for the group - gorp or snack bars.

Cherry Perry led Yoga. Campfire chat was available. Nigel did a talk on an expedition.

I signed up again for this year (well I still have to put the peperwork in the mail). I will be tenting. I noticed there are lunches for a little extra money. I am sure there are other refinements. I hope a few more RICKA folks show up this year. I'd say it would well suit the folks that paddle level 3/4 trips.

Kayak Waveology

Re: Rough Water Symposium
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:43:22 AM »

Folks we are in the final stages for the RWS 2008.  We are at 40 sign ups right now and going strong.

Some of the confirmed coaches
Nigel Dennis, UK
Phil Cleg, UK
Simon Osbourn,UK
Harry Whalen,UK
Fiona Whitehead, UK
Andy Stamp, UK
Tom Bergh, USA
Peter Casson, USA
Dale Williams, USA
Greg Paquin, USA
Billy Stark, USA
Paula Reigal, USA

We hope to see more of the friendly RI faces.

Cheers
Greg P

RickyB

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 04:57:54 PM »

Hi Greg,

Any chance of signing up just for Friday?

Rick Brooks

Carole C

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 07:39:19 PM »

Hey Gregg,

It sounds like a great line-up of coaches. I thought Jeff Allen was coming. Did he drop out?

Greg Paquin

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 07:13:16 PM »

Hi Carole,
Well Jeff and Simon just can't be in the same place at the same time.  They have a growing company in Cornwall UK.

Greg

Gerry

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 07:56:02 AM »

I too went to the Rough Water Symposium last year and did not think twice about signing up for this year's session.
For what it's worth, I think it's crazy to have a world class event like this in your back yard and not take advantage of it.  Being exposed to grade A coaches is only one of the reasons to attend:  Meeting LOTS of new paddlers and checking out their different styles was a great benefit as well.    Also, where else can you have an opportunity for focused play in full on conditions where some of the best paddlers out there are on stand by to put you back in your boat and give you immediate feedback?  As far as improving paddle skills go, I thought the symposium was like cheating.  Must have jammed a full year worth of improvement into a 3 day session.
Hope to see a pile of you there,
Gerry

Peter

• Peter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 03:00:27 PM »

Well the 2008 RWS was awesome.

Apparently I was the first person to sign up.

Anyway I learnt a lot this year. Mostly about surfing. Excellent stuff.

I did Tidal 1 and 2. There was a great mix of local talent and world class coaches.

I was signed up for Tidal 3 the third day but switched to Surf. It actually worked out well Surfing in the morning and rocks in the afternoon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up