RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word safe that I wasn't previously aware of. - Douglas Adams

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Icy Waters, Westport River - 3/12/11  (Read 1737 times)

JSharlin

Icy Waters, Westport River - 3/12/11
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:52:20 PM »

Bob H. and I paddled down the Westport River on  Sat. The air temp was in the low 40's and the water temp was 36F.
The wind was blowing around 15 + knots. After getting to the mouth of the river we found a nice standing wave. The river was ebbing at peak
with a new moon spring tide. Also the wind was from the SE making the waves stand right up. Normally we would advance to play in the wave.
However yesterday things were different. We just got close to it , checked it out and continued on our way back up the river.
So why didn't we play on the wave ? We stuck our hands in the water and realized we could hold our hands in the water for 5 seconds max.
before pain set in.  My sensitive hands went numb . ( even after being in toasty pogies ) . We could not perform a rescue with wet hands in these conditions . This ruled out fun play time on the wave. It felt like giving up a delicious  dessert because of diet restrictions. The waves were so enticing . We later joked that we didn't want to get written up in any safety column or see any headlines about experienced kayakers getting washed out to sea.

Jon Sharlin
Pages: [1]   Go Up