RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions for the yellow crested stick monkey newbie 5 red stars (?)  (Read 4632 times)

Carole

Hi Eric - I wasn't sure what all of those names meant under your name in the posts but it sounds cool. How do the rest of us earn all of those pretty stars?

I have some questions and comments about the board. Please excuse any really stupid ones - I'm not that computer savvy.

First of all - when I go onto the RICKA homepage and scroll down to MESSAGE BOARDS, I can hardly see "Sea Kayaking" because now it's in green instead of red. It's almost invisible. Can that be changed?

I usually go directly to the Sea Kayaking Home page when I log in, can I assume that this board will come up there when I hit "message board" on October 1?  Meanwhile, I'm not sure which board to post on. I don't think everyone is reading this one yet. Is there an easy way to post messages on both boards until October. (I know I can go in and copy/paste the regular way but it's time consuming.)

When this message board replaces the other on the Sea Kayaking page, will the other links show up on the left like they do now?

You have two sections - General Discussion and Recent Posts. Are they redundant or is there a purpose for each. If not, removing Recent Posts might simplify the look of the page. I noticed that not all message listed under Recent Post (i.e. Ray's post) were listed in General Discussion and that threw me off in the reasoning a bit.

What's "insert quote" about?

I guess those are all of my questions for now. Thanks. Keep up the good work!!!

Peter

• Peter
Re: Questions for the yellow crested stick monkey newbie 5 red stars (?)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:20:14 AM »

I think all the cool people are reading this board  ;D

Eric J.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 12:08:26 PM »

Hi Eric - I wasn't sure what all of those names meant under your name in the posts but it sounds cool. How do the rest of us earn all of those pretty stars?
I think the stars are awarded by the board and I'm not sure how it does that:) As for the funny name, you can add a funny name by editing your user profile. You can also upload a nifty little picture like Peter did. These will show up under your name whenever you post.

First of all - when I go onto the RICKA homepage and scroll down to MESSAGE BOARDS, I can hardly see "Sea Kayaking" because now it's in green instead of red. It's almost invisible. Can that be changed?
I can ask Alan to fix that.

I usually go directly to the Sea Kayaking Home page when I log in, can I assume that this board will come up there when I hit "message board" on October 1?
At some point the old home page will go away completely and the new one (http://rickaseakayaking.org) will be the only home page. My guess is that the link on the old one will not change.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure which board to post on. I don't think everyone is reading this one yet. Is there an easy way to post messages on both boards until October. (I know I can go in and copy/paste the regular way but it's time consuming.)
Sadly I don't believe there is a way to do it.

When this message board replaces the other on the Sea Kayaking page, will the other links show up on the left like they do now?
I can set that up if people want. The current plan is that it will not.

You have two sections - General Discussion and Recent Posts. Are they redundant or is there a purpose for each. If not, removing Recent Posts might simplify the look of the page. I noticed that not all message listed under Recent Post (i.e. Ray's post) were listed in General Discussion and that threw me off in the reasoning a bit.
The General Discussion section is where message are posted. The Recent Posts section just lists the five most recent posts to all of the message categories. If people find it confusing I can turn off the recent posts section.

What's "insert quote" about?
The insert quote button pastes the entire message into your reply and puts it in a quote box. It helps refer back to the previos post to which you are replying.

GeoAFenleyIII

Re: Questions for the boardmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:10:48 PM »

Hi Eric; Boardmaster sounds a bit medieval. I think 'Recent Post' should stay, this way no one has to filter the different folders (?) to see what is new. I check 'Recent Posts' to see what the activity is and I can tell right off the bat if any new, current messages are there. Real neat, lets keep it.
The other thing I have 3 new messages that I've read repeatedly and can't reduce that number to 0. I've logged in and logged out to no avail. Have you a quick answer for that? Thanks George.

Eric J.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 06:56:05 AM »

George,
In the personal message page there should have a delete button. If not, put a check in the messages check box and click the "Delete All" button.
If neither of those options work, I can manually take care of them for you.
Cheers,
Eric

Rich Coupland

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 05:03:17 PM »

Erik,

I have both Quicktime and Quicktime Picture Viewer installed, but when I open the site I can't open your picture. All I see is the quicktime image with a question mark on it. Is there a specific setup that I need to make?

Thanks, Rich C.
Pages: [1]   Go Up