RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Choose wisely.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: keel strips  (Read 10308 times)

Tim

keel strips
« on: December 19, 2007, 07:09:09 PM »

way sexy accoutrement or functional upgrade?

glass or spray-on plastic?

contrasting color or blending with hull?

GeoAFenleyIII

Re: keel strips
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »

Hi Tim; Well I have full strips on all my boats and it hasn't improved my #*#life any. My "Q" boat has a grey diolene strip that I would consider tastfully done. It's there and a bit unobstrusive. I had it done in diolene in keeping with the kevlar. The first boat done was my Azul and that has the distinction of being serial number "Carl's #2." Then the Romany was done. Both are full length and done in the truck bed spray black. Those come in colors as do the diolene.
      I would get it full length on any boat. Does it help? I don't know, I haven't used any of my boats much last winter, over the past summer and it looks like this winter is going to be a  bust too. I believe it would help when driving one's boat up a beach or leaving. That's why I'd recomened full length.  It would protect the keel but it covers such narrow strip that hull protection would be problematic.
      Tell you what, get one in a contrasting color, make me jealous and I'll tell you that it looks good on your boat. I don't think you'll regret having Carl put one on your boat. Thanks George

Eric J.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 10:33:10 PM »

The black strip down the center of my Quill hull is sexy since it matches nicely with the black trim. I thought it was the bees knees until chunk of the rubber peeled off from being dragged up a rocky beach. I suppose it saved my glass from some scratches. The Q-Boat's sharp bow, where the rubber pulled away, is probably a high wear spot with or without the keel strip.
The nice thing about the rubber one is that I didn't have to spring for a completely new one. It could be patched up.

Peter

• Peter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 01:21:33 PM »

After the Narra beach July 4th incident a year or two ago Carl put a bow strip on. It matches the hull.

The bow is where I tend to ding my boats - it deosn't add to much weight.

If you are really concerned about the wear and tear on your boat I think there are two clear options:

• Get a sponsor who will replace your boat frquently
  • Buy a yellow plastic Tempest 180

Tim

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 01:52:07 PM »

I'm liking the first option.

Cat

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 10:25:35 AM »

I wonder how waterproof duct tape would work.  Cheap, easily replaced, use it once and then put a new strip on.  Classy, too!   ;D

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 09:41:39 AM »

Hi Cat; Yes, there is an alternative to either a diolene or the spray on truck rubber bed liner, now that you have asked the question. It took me a while to find the correct issue of 'Sea Kayaker', Oct '07. If you check page 52, you'll see a half page article at the top on the use of 3M, white marine grade non skid tape. The author says he has to replace about every two years of hard use.  The author even tell how he removes it , cleans it and replaces it, all with the scope of an average person.
   You might ask Mike K for an opinion. Mike has written a little bit about the use of 3M tape, this information can be found on his site off the Sea Kayakers home page. Read his article on night paddling and you'll find the followinfg site for the purchase of 3M tape.Thanks George

http://www.identi-tape.com/solas.html.         

mkrabach

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 01:48:49 PM »

In reference to the Sea Kayaker Mag article, I went to  West Marine to see about it and all I found was a special tape that was, I forget exactly, but must have been about $25 per a 10 ft length.  I figured that was not what the article was talking about.  Looked on the web, but still couldn't find anything that sounded like the article.  I emailed Sea Kayaker but never got an answer.  I would like to know what it was because the P&H Quest has a very sharp knee at the bow, more so than any other fiberglass kayak I've seen.  Always worried about chipping the knee.   Of course with the Eddyline Falcon, and Nighthawk,  there is no problem with running up on the beach.  If anyone finds out the tape used in the article, please post the reference.

The tape mentioned on my night paddling page is 3M reflective SOLAS tape which will not work as a keel strip.

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 02:41:34 PM »

Hi Mike; If you'll give me your Address (snail mail) I"ll be happy to send you the infomation on the 3M keel strip. I should still be able to find the SK mag article. I didn't name it so I'll go back and see if what the article says and post it at any rate. Thanks George

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 02:51:17 PM »

Hi Mike; Keel strip addendum. The author in a rather short article sez "I settled on a two inch marine-grade nonship tape by 3M." Sea Kayaker Magazine Oct, '07, page 52. Thanks George

mkrabach

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 11:32:27 PM »

Try checking on the 3M web site, there is no single product listed as marine-grade nonslip tape.  It is still a mystery as to what it really is.  But 3M sure has alot of kinds of tape, including non slip deck and stairs tape.  The closest I could find is a 3M product KeelGuard which goes for about $150 for 7 feet for a kayak length boat.  It is 5" wide. It doesn't seem very cost effective.  A similar product is called Keelshield.  Which seem very similar, and similar in price.  But neither of these products look like the tape in the Seakayker Magazine.

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 12:05:11 AM »

Hi Mike; That keel strip sounded like good idea. But, I guess, like the other idea I got from 'Sea Kayaker' magazine that I did tried, it didn't work so well. A couple months ago they showed how to use some 2.5 inch plastic plumbing pipe and a couple of 90 degree elbows to make a paddle holder for the fore deck. The holder did work (on a calm day) but still kept the paddle out my reach and I doubt my ability to replace the paddles back in the thing. Might work for some people but not for me. The kell strip thing may have used a product that was less than desirable and the paddle holder thing may have  been made by a person with a long torso and arms. Oh, well. If any one would like to try the fore deck paddle holder thing, I've got one. Used once. Thanks George

Board Master

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 08:29:51 AM »

I just rid of the truck liner keel strip for a nice normal kevlar one. The trick liner one was hiding a bunch of gel coat damage. The new kevlar one looks much nicer and hopefully will prevent damage without hiding it.

Tim

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 02:25:24 PM »

I agree.  As you know, Carl replaced my boat's plastic keel strip with a regular fiberglass one.  I greatly prefer it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up