RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

To look backward for a while is to refresh the eye, to restore it, and to render it the more fit for its prime function of looking forward. - Margaret Fairless Barber

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tents  (Read 2722 times)

Tim

tents
« on: December 09, 2007, 11:13:37 AM »

Input would also be appreciated on 2-person tents.  Again, use would be from late spring to mid-fall.  Ease of set-up and convenience are a priority.  Once again we are talking base level equipment.

Eric J.

Re: tents
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 11:58:40 AM »

H and I got a REI Half Dome 2 for $100. It did a great job in Alaska and the other times we took it out this summer/fall. Set up is a breeze as the poles are fully connected and the tent just clips onto the poles. It has tons of ventilation and a solid rain fly.
The key feature for me was that it has two doors. That way both campers can access the tent without bothering the other one and each can have there own outside storage area.
For to large people it would be a little tight.
My previous tent was an EMS tri-star (don't think they still make it). That was a little bigger and little trickier to set up, but also excellent. We still have it, but one of the poles needs to be repaired.
H and I also looked at three person backpacking tents because they are a little roomier and not much more expensive. A three person tent is more the size one would imagine a two person tent should be.... The drawback to a bigger tent is that they are harder to warm-up on cold nights.
For kayak camping, or car camping, size and weight are not major worries, so get a tent that is comfortable.

gerry p

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 11:19:55 AM »

Tim,
Gerry again. 
Concerning tents:  Campmor (campmor.com) always has specials on decent tents.  You may want to consider a three season, self supporting tent with a large vestible.  The larger vestible give a place to leave wet gear and, in a pinch, gives you a place to cook in a storm.  Not reccommended by manufacturers but it's been the standard since the advent of cleaner burning stoves in the early 70s.  I would also suggest not getting a Kelty. REI and EMS use a variety of manufactures and simply re-lable so their quality is notoriously spotty even within the same line.   They do give and honor a lifetime guarantee but so does al the higher end manufacturers.  Kelty is just modestly designed.  Sierra Designs, North Face and Marmot all make great lines of three season tents.  Again, feel free to contact me if I can be of help.
Gerry 

Tim

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 03:41:52 PM »

Once again, thanks for the "back-up".

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 07:13:02 PM »

Hi Tim; Tents... Tents? Don't need no stinking tents! Rarely used them in the Army and now.. now I sleep inside under the biggest quilt I can find. Thanks Old Saltie,  Army ret
Pages: [1]   Go Up