RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Late Notice- Paddle today, 10/26, Gooseberry Pt  (Read 1697 times)

free2goyaking

Late Notice- Paddle today, 10/26, Gooseberry Pt
« on: October 26, 2010, 06:21:08 AM »

Weather looked too iffy but now its the 'pick of the week'... Carleen and I are launching off Gooseberry Pt today, shoreline paddle, at 11 am (promptly). If interested please arrive by 10:30 am so we will know to expect you.

JBernard

Re: Late Notice- Paddle today, 10/26, Gooseberry Pt
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »

Nice looking day out there. How was it?

free2goyaking

Re: Late Notice- Paddle today, 10/26, Gooseberry Pt
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 07:03:41 AM »

Huge surprise when I got there. Within just a few miles there was a fog bank (which I expected per the weather report) you could cut with a knife.  It was supposed to clear, be partly sunny and 71, 9 mph winds... it never cleared. In fact, I arrived by 10:15 and over the next 20 min, watching while Carleen made her way, the fog got worse and so thick we decided not to launch there even thought we were both familiar with the area. And especially where there was just the 2 of us... winds were higher than predicted, surf nasty already.
We ended up launching high on the West Branch of the Westport and paddled down to the ocean hoping we'd see signs of the skies opening up.  It did not. And with the outgoing tide, and increased wind at the point to go out towards Sakonnett was VERY CONFUSED waters and even surf, we decided again, to forego an 'ocean' trip.  Afer beaching for lunch we paddled up the East Branch a bit, sun barely peaking at times, then looking very 'threatening' of rain.  With the continued outgoing tide we then headed back in case the fog got worse as we had to navigate to the  put in, not to 'ground out'. 
We did have a nice day, just not what I envisioned... the foliage (what we could see) in the river was very nice, and I learned that especially this time of year... be prepared for ANYTHING (besides a new 'free' launch - a big deal in Westport). 
Pages: [1]   Go Up