RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. - The Dalai Lama

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: helmets  (Read 2681 times)

Tim

helmets
« on: December 08, 2007, 04:05:44 PM »

Anyone have experience with a real comfortable, wearable helmet that has a visor?

Gordon Brown has a particularly astute comment in his new book, "Sea Kayak" relating to the psychology of helmets.  He states that some people go through a personality change when they put on a helmet.  According to him they transition from mild mannered to dangerous and sometimes develop a do or die mindset.

mkrabach

Re: helmets
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »

Mine is a Pro-Tec, no viser, but I bought and have a video cam mounted on the top now.  Smile, when Spring comes that is.

As far as the "personality change when they put on a helmet", that has been discussed by serious people relating to  bicycle riding in various articles whether bike helmets save lives or encourage riders to take more chances.

Similarly, article in this weeks Time Magazine on the 'efficiency paradox'.  To loosely quote.. energy efficency has jumped nearly 50% since 1975 but total energy consumption had increased more than 40%.  They state that "Energy savings encouraged consumers to buy bigger cars and drive more rather than conserve gasoline."

I have also read discussions stating that since cars are safer now and handle better with ABS and automatic stabilizing,  the highway speed limits should be higher.  There is also the phenomen of riding in a large quiet SUV gives the illusion of going slower than the same speed in a noisy smaller car.  Which probably explains why I thought I was going like a 'bat out of hell" when I drove my old 64' VW beetle.

bob hogan

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 11:26:24 AM »

... According to him they transition from mild mannered to dangerous and sometimes develop a do or die mindset.

Can't say I've ever seen such a transformation on the water; maybe when we see helmets equipped with an air supply...

Bern makes a helmet with a visor. Whether it's comfy is gonna depend on the noggin you're trying to stuff into it, methinks.  I like the fact that my Pro-tec flexes enough to fit through my day hatch, and I can wear a hat under it.

Peter

• Peter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 04:46:10 PM »

When I have a pesonality change I put my helmet on - it's safer that way.

I can't remember the brand but on windy days it whistles and I can't hear Carleen yelling at me. Feature or bug?

Like Erik I where a light baseball cap underneath.
Pages: [1]   Go Up