RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To Pogey or Not To Pogey  (Read 8380 times)

Cat

To Pogey or Not To Pogey
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:17:45 AM »

I'd be interested in hearing people's experience/thoughts/opinions re cold weather hand protection.  The only gloves that seem to work for me are 2mm Stearns dive gloves which are totally waterproof, but they're clumsy and make it hard to grip the paddle.  Regular paddling gloves chill my hands from evaporation.  I tried pogies again last weekend, but they're hard to get my hands into quickly and when I don't want to use them, they get in the way, even when I wrap them around the paddle shaft.  Has anyone found another solution?
 ???   ???

GeoAFenleyIII

Re: To Pogey or Not To Pogey
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 12:41:02 PM »

Hi Cat;  My opinion, gloves are nice, or at least one would think so. One would have four fingers and a thumb to work with. I find that five fingers gloves aren't  particularly warm and are too bulky to be really effective. I find that I have to get the skirt on and get everything all set and then put the gloves on. And to keep track of them one might wish for mother's string thru the sleeves and across the shoulder.
     Pogies on the other hand,  attach to the paddle, have to come off the hands to do anything anyway but they are defiitely warmer than gloves. all the fingers are together which make the mitten style pogies warmer.  Mine are all neoprene, I forget which brand.
     I have to admit that when one's  hands are cold and wet both types of protection are hard to get on, especially the second glove/pogey. I think that trying either on in the store for a fit when the hands are warm and dry is misleading.
     Like almost anything one wants to spend some money on, first find someone who has one and try it out, after a paddle when one is cold, wet and a bit tired. If they go OK, you're in. if they don't,  you need a larger size.   
    One can pull on gloves with the teeth and the opposite hand, pogies have a pull tab on the back to pull with one's teeth. Works , but not all that well, 'side I don't care for saltwater and the cuff may not go over one's dry suit but stll the hands are OK. Hands come out easier than they go in. I wear gloves when it isn't too bad and pogies when it is.  Hands come out pogies easier than they go in (OK)but gloves come off just as hard (bad) as they go on if they are a bit wet. Thanks George

Cat

Some Results of Research (if anyone's interested)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 10:13:52 PM »

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 11:10:36 PM »

Hi Cat; Interesting. I've always had wet hands and what is a level six mit. Thanks George

mkrabach

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 01:52:10 AM »

I have a pair of NRS Toaster Mitts. But so far have only used them once last year.  Cat, you remember, last November 2006 or so, when one of the guys flipped over off Bonnet Rocks.  Certainly are nice and warm.  But as some mentioned in the referenced  Paddling.net article,  I had to take them off to work on the rescue.  And they don't come off easily.  I also could not put on my spray skirt with them on. But they were warm.

bob hogan

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 08:59:36 AM »

Putting the skirt on is one thing... How about that wet exit?

Glove or mitt, don't forget to make sure you can easily grasp the grab loop. With the loss of dexterity I think that could be a problem. Plain webbing loops like on my Snapdragon skirt may need to be modified to be more foolproof. Not something you want to figure out when you're blowing bubbles.

tvcrider

Re: Level Six mitts
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 06:31:31 PM »

Hi Cat; Interesting. I've always had wet hands and what is a level six mit. Thanks George

George,
Here is a direct link to the Level Six mitts.
http://tinyurl.com/2bprso
Apparently Greg Stamer (Greenland style paddling guru) was really impressed with them on his recent circumnavigation of Iceland by kayak.

Safe paddling,
Joe

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 08:41:25 PM »

H i Joe; Thanks for the info on Denso tape, I did read an article , in a kayak mag, about using that tape, their solution to the sticky part was to use sandwich bags of appropriate size, turn them inside out after use to keep ones' hands clean.
     As far as the Level Six mitts, I thought the price was more that right, until I realized that it is in Canadian dollars, I don't know what the conversion is. Thanks for the info on both of them. I'm going to check out the Level Six mitt site again. Thanks George

Carole

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 04:15:56 PM »

My NRS pogies keep my hands pretty warm and I like the way they wrap around the paddle shaft when I'm not using them, but I do have to use my teeth to pull the second one on. I noticed that Joe and Paul have Snapdragon pogies. They're easy to get on and off and they look warmer than the NRS pogies, but they don't wrap around the paddle when not needed (as far as I could see). Another benefit is that in extreme conditions, gloves will fit under the Snapdragon pogies without hampering paddlers from removing their hands from the pogies quickly.

Snapdragon makes two types of pogies - Hyper Hands and Hot Hands. Hyper Hands are more expensive (@$40) are are contructed of 3mm hypalon rubber which is supposed to be softer and lighter than the 3 mm neoprene of the Hot Hands (@$32).

Anybody have a preference of the two?

Eric J.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 06:39:33 PM »

I find that a pair of seal skin gloves, or a pair of fuzzy neoprene gloves, work well for me while I'm paddling. My hands are always wet when I paddle and the water trapped inside the glove adds enough insulation to keep my hands warm. They also provide me plenty of mobility to fiddle with my grab loop, tow-belt clip, etc without removing them.

I do need a dry pair of hand warming implements for lunch.

The Level Six mitts look very interesting though. I may have to give them a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up