RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Punctuality is the virtue of the bored. - Evelyn Waugh

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Denso Tape  (Read 7701 times)

GeoAFenleyIII

Denso Tape
« on: November 28, 2007, 02:19:08 PM »

Hi Ken; So how is the 'Seas***'? I've been meaning to get some Denso tape from the Chillreed distributor on the West coast,  but haven't done so. Thanks George

mkrabach

Denso Tape
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:11:28 PM »

I think from the description of the Denso tape, it should be available at plumbing suppy houses.

And a good thing that I was not along on the paddle, for I would have surely had to photograph the whole rescue.  But I would have never photographed Carleen feeling seasick, for that would have been pushing my luck too far.

GeoAFenleyIII

Re: Denso Tape
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 12:00:13 AM »

Hi Mike; Yes there is a plumbers tape like that, would it be so easy as to be called by  the same name? Guess I'll have to go to a plumbing supply place and ask, eh? What does one use to clean Denso off one's hands afterwards? Seems to me I did read about keeping that 'stuff' in a couple of sanwhich bags to keep one's hand clean. George

tvcrider

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:42:26 PM »

George,
I purchased some Denso tape from Chris @ Chillcheater/Reed U.S.A. earlier this year.
I have not been able to find anything even close to it our local plumbing supply stores.
This stuff is tenacious.  It comes bagged and separated by wax paper.  :o

I have been told it will come off with Mineral Spirits / Acetone, but I have not tried it myself.
If you purchase some I would strongly suggest you keep a pair or two of Nitrile disposable gloves in your repair/first aid kit.   
The Denso is extremely sticky and if you apply it bare-handed you will end up looking like 'Wylie Coyote' trying to catch the Roadrunner with 'Acme All-purpose Tape'.   ;D

Safe paddling,
Joe
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:54:13 PM by tvcrider »

Peter

• Peter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 02:06:55 PM »

At the RWS people talked about using RV tape available from hardware stores.
I haven't tried to buy it yet. I think Denso is a British product.

becca

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:13:16 PM »

I recently used denso on a repair in Georgia and I didn't have gloves. I thought I'd be scarred or sticky for life but it wasn't nearly as horrible as all accounts make it out to be. The repair stayed solid throughout a full day in rough conditions and my hands were not ultimately impaired on the paddle by handling the tape. It is sticky, sure, but salt water and sand are stronger.  Folks talked about RV tape in Georgia (Sea Kayak Georgia) as well, but I've never used it. It may well be preferable simply because it's more readily available in the US (yes, denso is a brit thang). But denso is, I have to say, amazing stuff.  Still, for safe measure, why not have gloves? More gear and more gear and more glorious gear.

bob hogan

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 08:18:16 AM »

There's a roofing material generically referred to as ice and water shield that I've been curious about for this use. Black sticky stuff. Only problem is that it comes in three foot wide sheets. Anybody got some to play with?

Peter

• Peter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 11:47:26 AM »

Well I did some googling around and found what sounds like a perfect product:

http://www.folandsales.com/catalog.asp?prodid=487853&showprevnext=1

Maybe I'll order a patch or two.

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 09:10:04 PM »

Hi Peter; You know, I've read about tape somewhere called RV tape in the same context as kayaks, but I'm not sure where. When I figure it out and find it I'll let yo'all know. Thanks George

kenF

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 07:00:43 AM »

If you want to purchase denso tape locally they have rolls of it at GRO, aka The Kayak Centre in Wickford. 

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 08:25:18 PM »

Hi Ken; Thanks for the info on Denso tape. I'll buy some next time I swing thru. Does that stuff have a storge Life. Thanks George

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 10:43:25 PM »

Yo Ken; I finally stopped at the Kayak Centre and bought some genuine 'Denso' tape. It's packed in a sealed plastic bag and even the outside of the original bag is sticky. I did bring it into the house. I guess it is safe enough to do. If you don't see me by summer time, maybe I'm stuck in my easy chair. Any words of wisdom or wit, ken. Thanks George
Pages: [1]   Go Up