RICK/A Sea Kayaking Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: instructional movies  (Read 4430 times)

Linda

instructional movies
« on: November 24, 2007, 02:14:25 PM »

Can anyone recommend instructional movies to 'keep in touch' over the winter... something not too basic.  I was looking at Nigel Foster's 'Rescues' and 'Bracing and Rolls'.  Anyone familiar with these.  I've recently viewed 'This is the Sea' and I'm on a kick!

Tim

Re: instructional movies
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 07:06:42 AM »

The Nigel Foster series is excellent, although he is not the most dynamic presenter.  The video on directional control in wind is really good.  I think it is video 3, or possibly 4, of that series.  It's in the RICKA library.  Other good sea kayaking instructional videos include Wayne Horodowich's University of Sea Kayaking series.  For playing around in a boat, there is also Derek Hutchinson's "Beyond the Cockpit".  I think there was also a hard core, sea kayaking rescue video out of the U.K. more recently.  It was done by a couple of highly rated, BCU coaches, but the names escape me.    

Linda

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 10:39:45 AM »

Thanks, Tim... I'll check out your suggestions... I'll try borrowing the one from the library as a place to start... purchasing the one's I can't view 'free'.

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 12:26:01 PM »

Hi Linda; To add to what Tim is saying, and you have already picked up on, try the RICKA Librsry or make friends with someone who has them and borrow them.  Other than that most of these vides (DVDs) can be found in the back of the Sea Kayaker magazine. For some strange reason, Nigel Foster's series aren't being offered. However other sites do sell them.  
     'Beyond the ****pit' showcases Derek Hutchinson by Wayne Horodowich who is University of Sea Kayaking. If you get a chance to take classes by either of these men do so. They are first rate. Wayne's classes are more practical.  
     'Sea Kayak Safety' is by Leo Hoare and Olly Sanders from 'A Rock and Sea Production' from the UK. It's an hour of assisted recues in calm water and again in rough water! Plus a half hour on the Royal Coast Guard.

www.nigelfosterkayaks.com          or      www.starling.com              

www.seakayakvideos.com

www.useakayak.com      Wayne's site, interesting. articles, humor and a store

Due to some approptriate anti- **** safety features on the board, some words are deemed unsuitable to print out even when used in appropriate context. So the place where one sits in a boat wont fully spell out. At first I thought that Tim made a spelling mistake, but it happened to me also. LOL. Sooo, ****pit where one sits becomes plain old pit. Oh well. The price we pay for the contemptible stupidity of others who would violate the sanctity of of our board. Thanks George

Cat

(*&)*&)&'d
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »

Just as long as our revered BoardMaster doesn't add "paddle" to the list of forbidden words   ;)

I had some dweeb drive up at the takeout of the 2006 Slocum Solstice trip and ask me if I wanted to paddle him.  AFTER he drove off it occurred to me I should have told him his ****pit was too small.  Dang it all.....

Board Master

• Administrator
Censoring
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »

Since the level of spam has come way down, I've changed the censors. They will only censor out naughty words when they are stand alone. So c**K will vanish, but cockpit will not.

GeoAFenleyIII

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 07:06:25 PM »

Hi Cat; I know. I always seem to think of the proper ( amusing) thing to say only when it is way, way past.
     And as far as the Boardmaster is concerned it is still too bad that certain entities are going out and aggresiuvely seeking business at other people annoyance. But, it is nice to know the invasive e-mails are dwindling. Three cheers for the Boardmaster.  Thanks George

tvcrider

Re: Sea Kayak Safety DVD
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 08:48:59 PM »

I'd like to recommend Leo Hoare & Olly Sanders Sea Kayak Safety DVD.  This is an excellent production that shows a comprehensive list of sea kayak rescues.  They initially demonstrate the particular skill on flat water and then they take it out into the rough stuff  ;)
It is very well done. 

free2goyaking

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 04:14:55 PM »

Thanks, all for the suggestions.  I have a lot of 'checking out' to do at this point.  Yes, whatever I can view from the library is a good way to go (cheaper).  But believe it or not, owning a few to review them at will, takes the edge off the 'withdrawl' I'm feeling. 

Peter

• Peter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 01:04:22 PM »

I liked "Beyond the Cockpit".

The This is the Sea series are not instructional but very entertaining I've only seen  I & III.

I found one of the rolling videos entertaining - dated and camp but worthwhile. If you are going to do the rolling clinic a rolling video will get you thinking through the roll. I rolled my armchair several times before I got a real roll in the pool.

Linda

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 10:05:03 AM »

Yeah, I got to borrow 1 + 3 from someone, recently... Loved especially the 1st one... I think I watched it 4-5X in 1 week... as part of getting over my paddling withdrawl.  The skills/knowledge base AMAZED ME...   It put in perspective how little I bring to the table at a time when I was thinking I had a rather short learning curve.  REALITY CHECK!
Pages: [1]   Go Up