Advanced search  

News:

The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook. -William James

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flares  (Read 3594 times)

Tim

Flares
« on: July 05, 2009, 02:27:26 PM »

I highly recommend the Pains Wessex Miniflare Kit (8 red stars total).  It comes to me from a reliable source that when one tests these flares after storing them in waterlogged life vest pockets for three years, they perform flawlessly.  All eight flares discharge perfectly.  The same test performed on the commonly available Sky Blazer 3-pack resulted in no flares working.  When you weigh the cost, think of performance, do you want 8 fully functioning flares or the remote possibility of a single flare working?  Please note, as a service to the local paddling community, Osprey Sea Kayak Adventures provides the Pains Wessex flares at cost.  See Carl's add in the commercial section of the board.     

Peter

• Peter
Re: Flares
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:05:23 AM »

I put mine in a safe place after last season - now where was that?

Wayne Smith

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 12:54:41 PM »

I switched to an Orion 12 gauge pistol years ago after I had 2 out of 3 tube flares fail when tested.

I have not been good to the shells, and several of them were heavily corroded around the primer, and 3 were at least 12 or more years old when I fired a dozen of them (Yes, I had that many expired shells) off at a DEP flare demo this past summer. As old and abused as most of them were, 11 out of 12 fired and lit. The 12th one fired, but the meteor didn't light. And that one wasn't badly corroded.

Pistols are a bit more of a pain to use for paddlers, but if you have a dry dayhatch, they're no big deal. All in what you prefer.

Tim

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »

The day hatch allows for storage of flare pistols and larger scale pyrotechnics, including orange smoke, but the mini-flare kit keeps well on the paddler's vest.  Assuming you are always wearing your vest, this becomes a key safety protocol, especially in rough water, where the possibility of separation from your boat increases.  Additionally, this is also a reason to wear a submersible VHF.   

bob hogan

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »

As Baldy Pete says: "Don't forget to grease your flares!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up