Close Call Description
Go to the North Shore Paddlers Network website and read about Josko's friends close call.  It is extremely well described and all to possible.  Think about how easily this circumstance can happen.  Also, consider how easily things could have turned out worse.
Here's the link directly to the article:    https://www.nspn.org/forum/topic/13567-r...ng-mishap/

This is exactly why if it is winter, and I am alone, my trips are MUCH less ambitious, rarely on the open coast (unless surfing on a safe beach). I do a lot of paddling in the bay, even the upper bay, and if I do any crossing, it has to be dead flat calm, and forecasted to stay that way. My typical trip is hugging the coast in fairly shallow water, in an area with many good emergency take-outs.

Tony
Rocks are our friends!  Rolleyes
(03-10-2021, 12:41 PM)Tony M. Wrote: Here's the link directly to the article:    https://www.nspn.org/forum/topic/13567-r...ng-mishap/

This is exactly why if it is winter, and I am alone, my trips are MUCH less ambitious, rarely on the open coast (unless surfing on a safe beach). I do a lot of paddling in the bay, even the upper bay, and if I do any crossing, it has to be dead flat calm, and forecasted to stay that way. My typical trip is hugging the coast in fairly shallow water, in an area with many good emergency take-outs.

Tony

The thing that is crazy in this spot, he was probably only 50-feet from the shore caught in a strong recirculating current.  I could see how easily the situation could happen.  Yet, a lot of folks would think it a fairly benign location.
Thanks for sharing this Tim. Wow... very well written account and very scary indeed.
Jon
Wow!  Thanks for sharing this Tim and to Tony for posting the link.  A very detailed and well written description of a very scary experience that could have ended very differently.  A teachable moment that I'm grateful this paddler was able to share.
Very well written. I'm glad he was able to share.  It’s interesting how familiarity and comfort of one’s own "backyard" colors perception of risk and shapes our judgment.